Stewy the Roo must go

DanceswLabs

Songster
Apr 6, 2010
Wake County, NC
Stewy, our approximately 20-month old white Leghorn rooster, has got to go. He has started flogging his humans, and I don't want to deal with an attack rooster. However, these are my first chickens, and I am not sure of the best way to proceed. What does one do to get rid of a roo? Should I list him on Craig's List or what? (I don't care if someone takes him to eat him, because I am not sure I can think of any other reason to take in a flogging roo.)

Jeany

I wish I had the nerve to butcher my own chickens, but I don't. And to show you how far I have come, if you had told me before I got chickens and joined this forum that I would wish that, I wouldn't have believed it. Maybe I will continue to evolve and start raising meaties next year. However, I am not there yet.
smile.png

I should also add that he is flogging with just his wings so far; although, my 10-year-old did have a sliglht scratch. Am I right in assuming he isn't going to stop at that and that he is working up to using his beak, claws and spurs?

You really don't want to eat a mature rooster. The meat is not so good.

You can offer him for free to someone - or you can rehabilitate him by making sure he knows who is boss. Grab him up by his feet & let him fuss & cuss for a while. He will eventually submit to you. Do that daily for a week & he will never think of attacking you again.

If you have kids or others that live there they should hold him upside down too.

If you are going to re-home him you MUST inform the recipient about his behavior issues. It's not fair, not right, and dangerous to withhold that information. I think he may be even more likely to be aggressive in a new home, it's often fear & wariness that makes a rooster feel defensive.

I really think the best solution for an aggressive rooster is to have him for dinner. You can eat chickens of any age, as long as you use the correct method of cooking. Older birds can still be flavorful and tender if you cook them slowly with plenty of moisture. Stewie would make a great chicken stew.

Back
Top Bottom