Teamwork - Rooster calling to hens when he finds food...

Dacy Meadow Farmer

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 9, 2010
Westport
This behavior was clear as day. Our Silver Grey Dorking Rooster "Big Boy" was out in the field and he came across several crickets. He bobbed his head up and down several times excitedly and made call like a puppy whining. Several hens came running over immediately and got some crickets. It really seemed like he was taking care of his girls and not keeping his find a secret. Has anyone else seen teamwork like this? It was a very distinctive call and it was clear that he didn't eat any of the crickets and the girls ran to him like there was no tomorrow.

welcome-byc.gif

Yes, it's typical for a "good" roo to alert his girls to treats. MOst will usually allow the girls to get their fill before they dig in. Gotta love a good roo!

Our rooster is 16 weeks, so pretty young. We were careful when we selected him. We had 8 roosters to choose from. He was the biggest which helped the decision, but he was also protective without being overly agressive. He wouldn't attack you, he would just let you know he was watching you. So we harvested the others and now he rules the roost with 30 hens.

I've heard many stories of roos being providers for their hens. Matter of fact it is the reason I decided to buy a rooster 3 weeks ago. I bought a Cuckoo Maran wanting to build one happy family unit for my 12 chickens, but now I wish I had not done so. Because of it, one of my chickens has a bald and tender pecked back. The Cuckoo is going away soon. I told my Dad to make him disappear by this weekend. He seems to be mean and over dominant. My hens are now living with stress. Perhaps I am not giving the roo time enuff to prove him self a good head of the family. All I know is I feel guilty that my hens are having to put up with his roughness.
You are very fortunate that your roo is showing his fatherly side.
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Some of us are--I do all the dinner cooking and she gets to eat it.
smile.png
Not to mention that I take full care of the chickens and she eats way more eggs than I do--she does cook 'em tho.

BTW, our roosters were good at getting the hens our of harms way whenever a hawk was in the area. They'd cluck a warning and the hens would disappear.

My Carl will do this. It's one of his adorable traits and just lovely to watch. However, the sneaky bastid will ALSO call "I've got a goodie" when all he has is a pretty leaf or a white pebble or small stick, just to lure over some poor girl to jump. They come running, he drops a wing and circles, then snags the most gullible for a quickie.

Interestingly enough, he pulls that same crap with me, sans the circle dance and all. He keeps trying to give me pretty rocks and leaves and sticks.

Back
Top Bottom