Pics
Good morning, everyone!
I recently moved to the Eastern panhandle of West Virginia, from New Hampshire, and had to leave all my birds behind. Regrettably starting fresh, I've ordered the wheatens from Cackle. Anyone have an idea what I'll be starting with? And does anyone know of any breeders within a couple states of me? I'm trying for a 'prepper bird' if that makes any sense at all, and want a bit less game, maybe try to hit 125 eggs a year (hatchery stock should help with that), good mothers, dress out around 3.5-4 lbs. I don't want to end up with 'that's not an aseel!' though lol. Thoughts?
Thanks

@MysteryChicken @Bigtom Turkey @cubalaya @Florida Bullfrog What are your thoughts? Personally, I'm sorry, but if you take away the gameyness, take away their special reproductive cycle, why would you go with aseel? There are other breeds that would be a better fit for you. Or doing an aseel cross. I just don't see why you would want to go that route of breeding the aseel out of an aseel, you're making it harder for yourself

@MysteryChicken @Bigtom Turkey @cubalaya @Florida Bullfrog What are your thoughts? Personally, I'm sorry, but if you take away the gameyness, take away their special reproductive cycle, why would you go with aseel? There are other breeds that would be a better fit for you. Or doing an aseel cross. I just don't see why you would want to go that route of breeding the aseel out of an aseel, you're making it harder for yourself
They said less Gamey. I think they're wanting a more stable bird like the Malay.

I'll try to reply to everyone at once here. I had Aseels before and they were mint. By game, I mean fight to the death level. My old ones free ranged and once in a while I had to pick a loser to eat, but they weren't doing nothing but fighting. I didn't get lots of eggs, but there were chicks everywhere, which was good, and they kept those babies alive. They're smart, human friendly, and dress out to a nice little nugget. I was under the impression there were larger Aseels, and most of the info I've come across on Malays says they won't be fully mature until 2-3 years, which is why Aseels sounded better when I first started. They were great birds from a Maine breeder who I can't find.
Thanks guys, and btw I'm female lol. Just haven't got a pic yet.

Larger aseel types do exist, the shamo is one of them. Both aseel and Malay take longer to mature, that's just part of their breed. I do think you'd be better off with Malay, as @MysteryChicken said. I don't think anyone has said anything about gender though, sorry If we accidentally called you he! Also welcome to BYC! :welcome

Back
Top Bottom