Pics
I'll try to reply to everyone at once here. I had Aseels before and they were mint. By game, I mean fight to the death level. My old ones free ranged and once in a while I had to pick a loser to eat, but they weren't doing nothing but fighting. I didn't get lots of eggs, but there were chicks everywhere, which was good, and they kept those babies alive. They're smart, human friendly, and dress out to a nice little nugget. I was under the impression there were larger Aseels, and most of the info I've come across on Malays says they won't be fully mature until 2-3 years, which is why Aseels sounded better when I first started. They were great birds from a Maine breeder who I can't find.
Thanks guys, and btw I'm female lol. Just haven't got a pic yet.
My Malays actually matured pretty quickly. Quicker then I thought they would. They took awhile to grow in their adult plumage though. Not sure if has to do, with mine being that of the Indian type(True Malay)though.

What you basically want in a flock of survival chickens is about 20 or so mature hens and one mature rooster. You also want some stags living on the periphery, one of which will replace your mature rooster if he dies. You can have that even if the males have a strong game drive.

A lack or eggs can simply be the nature of an oriental gamefowl. You might cross an oriental to a bankivoid and get the best of both. The protective fierceness of the orientals and the better egg laying of the bankivoids.

Ok, another reply where I try to include everyone lol. Nobody called me 'he', I just saw a 'they' and figured I'd straighten it out :). Good to hear about the Maly being a bit quicker maturing. Do they forage as well as the Aseels? I still separate breeding groups in the spring to keep my genetic diversity, so I can go without new blood as often. And I kinda picked 125 eggs out of a hat because it's just a low number but still within the realm of Oriental games? I really don't mind as long as I can sneak a handful once a week, and winter laying isn't important. And finally, what is an Aseel considered without that level of game? There must be a term for a bastardized Aseel lol? I'd like to keep as true to their nature as I can, so maybe the flock breeding would be better, and I could keep a pair penned or something.

Ok, another reply where I try to include everyone lol. Nobody called me 'he', I just saw a 'they' and figured I'd straighten it out :). Good to hear about the Maly being a bit quicker maturing. Do they forage as well as the Aseels? I still separate breeding groups in the spring to keep my genetic diversity, so I can go without new blood as often. And I kinda picked 125 eggs out of a hat because it's just a low number but still within the realm of Oriental games? I really don't mind as long as I can sneak a handful once a week, and winter laying isn't important. And finally, what is an Aseel considered without that level of game? There must be a term for a bastardized Aseel lol? I'd like to keep as true to their nature as I can, so maybe the flock breeding would be better, and I could keep a pair penned or something.
Games crossed with none Game breeds are referred to as dunghills. Or, a Gamefowl that may not be pure, to be more specific.
This too. Cropped as good as I could. My phone is weird.
20230210_132147.jpg

Malays love to free roam, so a large enclosure, or free range conditions are perfect for them. They're very alert, & excellent foragers.

They are called dunghills or runners. Is rfoxfire the breeder in Maine?

Yeah, I just prefer to use all-inclusive pronouns so I don't offend anyone. If you want free range birds with a little less gameyness and more egg laying than a cross would be much better, especially when you think that you'll be selecting for two things that the aseel was especially bred for. Selecting for less gameyness while also selecting for more egg laying means you'll rarely be able to find a pure bird with both traits, most likely you'd be selecting a bird with great egg laying ability that kills everything in sight, or the other way around. That's why I'm strongly suggesting you start with another breed or with a cross

Back
Top Bottom