Hi Nellie,

I found this link while looking around trying to figure out how to sex polish chicks:

http://www.swpoultry.com/CindySite/Sexing_Polish.html

If you have some pictures of when they were just hatched, you may be able to figure it out? I've read quite a few threads that state that sexing frizzle Polish is difficult. We might have to wait till they start crowing! LOL!

As for the two OE's...if I look at the legs and combs, I'd guess that the one on the left is a pullet and the one on the right is a cockerel. The color of the comb of the one on the left is concerning...but that is my guess today ;)

Ok, thanks Tina. I have come across that website before, and tried to look and compare, yet to me all the top hats look round, or maybe my photography skills are lacking! I will take a look at the pics of when they were a day or so old again and try to see if I can compare pics.
Did you notice in the pic of the 2 chicks I had leg bands on both?
I do hope at least one of them is a pullet(even though that would make my predictions incorrect.)
The more I look at them, the more I keep second guessing my ability to sex them correctly.
Looking at them, I thought just because their combs were coming in faster than others, they were roosters.
Now I am not so sure. Take a look below and see what I mean.

We both know this is the CCL pullet:
IMG_0944.JPG

Now take a look at this one, I had it pegged for male. Now I am second guessing myself.
IMG_0980.JPG

Just because it has a larger comb, I assumed it was male. It's (the comb) is still close to the same color as the pullet pictures above.
Anyway, I will look at polish website again and try to compare the pics.

I decided to keep them all for now, and I am finally able to send them to the farm.
I will be able to tell for sure this way.

Ok, thanks Tina. I have come across that website before, and tried to look and compare, yet to me all the top hats look round, or maybe my photography skills are lacking! I will take a look at the pics of when they were a day or so old again and try to see if I can compare pics.
Did you notice in the pic of the 2 chicks I had leg bands on both?
I do hope at least one of them is a pullet(even though that would make my predictions incorrect.)
The more I look at them, the more I keep second guessing my ability to sex them correctly.
Looking at them, I thought just because their combs were coming in faster than others, they were roosters.
Now I am not so sure. Take a look below and see what I mean.

We both know this is the CCL pullet:
View attachment 1346212

Now take a look at this one, I had it pegged for male. Now I am second guessing myself.
View attachment 1346213
Just because it has a larger comb, I assumed it was male. It's (the comb) is still close to the same color as the pullet pictures above.
Anyway, I will look at polish website again and try to compare the pics.

I decided to keep them all for now, and I am finally able to send them to the farm.
I will be able to tell for sure this way.

I did notice the leg bands on both ;)

Maybe instead of sticking to your original predictions where you listed all of the numbers from high to low and split them, you should go back and compare the breed numbers and determine how many of each sex you should have. Then when the little monsters decide to tell the truth about what they are you will know you should have XX pullets and XX cockerels...and if you are off a couple we could try to figure out what they are and would know for example that a 76. Xx for Polish would be a boy and a 76.xx for the OE's will be a girl? Just a thought!

My OE pullets that take more after the Marans have the same size combs as the cocereals...the difference is the color. Then I look at the size of the legs and their stance. Those boys have thicker legs and tend to stand up straighter...at least mine do. I figured I'd be able to tell the boys pretty quickly if they took after their dad as I knew he was a boy at 3 weeks old.

Ok, thanks Tina!! I will do that.
One thing though, I was not able to record who exactly came from what #egg. It became confusing to say the least. Even though I had 24 hatch, I really thought I would be able to record it. Didn't happen!!
The excitement as usual took over and So many of them hatched in the middle of the night.

Oh, I also had to pull the rubber bands off them. They were getting too tight for my comfort. If I am not able to see the m everyday I feel more comfortable without the potential hazard of cutting off circulation.
I have taken so many photos, that I truly feel comfortable with being able to differentiate between the ones who had the rubber bands.

Oh, I also had to pull the rubber bands off them. They were getting too tight for my comfort. If I am not able to see the m everyday I feel more comfortable without the potential hazard of cutting off circulation.
I have taken so many photos, that I truly feel comfortable with being able to differentiate between the ones who had the rubber bands.
Yeah, bands make me nervous too...as they grow like little weeds!

Do you think this experiment might work with quail eggs? I hatch coturnix quail and some of them you can tell gender by week 3 when they get most of their feathers in. I have eggs in the incubator now, do you think it would harm them if I take them out to take measurements?

Do you think this experiment might work with quail eggs? I hatch coturnix quail and some of them you can tell gender by week 3 when they get most of their feathers in. I have eggs in the incubator now, do you think it would harm them if I take them out to take measurements?

I'd measure them when you are putting them in lockdown...that's when I measured my eggs as I had already set them when I found this thread. Give it a try...you've got nothing to lose except the 20 bucks for the digital caliper (unless you already have one)...then it costs you nothing!! If you decide to participate, please share your numbers!! Good luck!

Lockdown is this weekend, I predict a trip to harbor freight in the very near future. I will definitely share my numbers and cute chick pics too. :)
Lowes and Home Depot have the caliper too just in case Harbor Freight is out :) How many eggs did you set? Are they all the same breed of quail? I can't wait to see the tiny babies!! Welcome to the experiment!

Back
Top Bottom