The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

41 eggs in the bator!! I decided to do all BBS for this batch then in March do a full batch of Lavenders instead of doing Half and Half this time!

The eggs are due to hatch on Feb. 21st we set them at 11:20 AM

Finally got a few of my gold laced orp boy. He's pretty but seems to go a bit overboard of his duties with the hens,

And my favorite girl

Ok.. I hatched three chicks fathered by my splash English orpington rooster. I was pretty sure the mother was my American SQ black orpington hen.

I got 2 cockerels, 1 pullet. One of the cockerels has a TON of leakage. Is this too much leakage to be mothered by a true black hen? Maybe my rooster has the gold gene and the silver gene? Maybe the mom actually was a black sex link? Help!

& the pullet

Ok.. I hatched three chicks fathered by my splash English orpington rooster. I was pretty sure the mother was my American SQ black orpington hen.

I got 2 cockerels, 1 pullet. One of the cockerels has a TON of leakage. Is this too much leakage to be mothered by a true black hen? Maybe my rooster has the gold gene and the silver gene? Maybe the mom actually was a black sex link? Help!

& the pullet

sometimes it just pops out, even in the best bred birds. there are a lot of factors that can cause it, not all are easily explainable by me lol. some will breed birds with red leakage and never tell you they did, some do not know they should not breed birds with leakage and they do. sometimes genes play a role and pop up out of nowhere.

sometimes it just pops out, even in the best bred birds. there are a lot of factors that can cause it, not all are easily explainable by me lol. some will breed birds with red leakage and never tell you they did, some do not know they should not breed birds with leakage and they do. sometimes genes play a role and pop up out of nowhere.

Very well said
thumbsup.gif

I just bought a Jubilee rooster, Gold Laced pullet and a Red pullet from a guy that bought Jubilee eggs. He said these all hatched from those eggs. What can cause all three colors from what was supposed to beJubilee or was it a dishonest seller that sent a variety? The guy also gave be a Chocolate rooster. I already have a Lavender pullet and a Buff pullet. Does anyone have pictures of any of the crosses these would make? If I cross a Chocolate and a Red, do the colors blend or do I get some Chocolate chicks and some Red chicks? I have been reading about genetics and I understand the easier colors. Black, Blue, Splash, White and Lavender. But the rest are still confusing. Especially the Jubilee. If I crossed the Jubilee with any of these, do I get crazy colors or will some of the chicks be Jubilee? I am doing this for fun and I am curious. I won't sell the chicks as pure anything. I just love the Orpingtons. I also love their beautiful colors.

I just bought a Jubilee rooster, Gold Laced pullet and a Red pullet from a guy that bought Jubilee eggs. He said these all hatched from those eggs. What can cause all three colors from what was supposed to beJubilee or was it a dishonest seller that sent a variety? The guy also gave be a Chocolate rooster. I already have a Lavender pullet and a Buff pullet. Does anyone have pictures of any of the crosses these would make? If I cross a Chocolate and a Red, do the colors blend or do I get some Chocolate chicks and some Red chicks? I have been reading about genetics and I understand the easier colors. Black, Blue, Splash, White and Lavender. But the rest are still confusing. Especially the Jubilee. If I crossed the Jubilee with any of these, do I get crazy colors or will some of the chicks be Jubilee? I am doing this for fun and I am curious. I won't sell the chicks as pure anything. I just love the Orpingtons. I also love their beautiful colors.

If a breeder had all three colors they could have just miss-marked the eggs when they collected them. (I have done that.....
hide.gif
) They are still pure bred I just miss-marked the eggs. That doesn't mean that is what happened in this case though. It is really difficult to tell at this point what the mistake really was without trial breeding each one and that could take a couple generations to really know for sure (you would need the hens of all the breeds in question), too complicating
th.gif
If you don't purchase them directly from the breeder it is difficult to know if the mix up came from the original source or from the person hatching the eggs. There are some folks that purchase eggs from several different sources then hatch them all together then brood them all together thinking they will be able to tell the difference when they are a little older.........

With the chocolate and red cross I think you are going to end up with a brassy color, I think the red can be lightened or darkened but the chocolate gene is a little more complicated..... I don't think you would produce either chocolate or red, but I am not positive. There are a couple people on here that might chime in who could probably give you more insight as to what you are likely to end up with ......... Jeremy.........
smile.png

Keep us posted with what your results are, it will be interesting to know what you end up with.

There have been so many indiscriminate matings with these Orps that many have no idea what genes their birds are carrying. It will take years to clean up this mess. Everyone is a "breeder".....well there are very few breeders of Orps at the moment and the rest are just propagating chickens. Making chicks is very easy. Keeping track of what you do is very difficult.

Buyer beware unless you just want mutts and they are fun too. The thing is lots of people are paying big bucks for these mutts that are passed off as pure. Its not just mixing colors, these folks are mixing breeds....and some of the breeds being used don't even have Orpington shape/type.

Walt

Back
Top Bottom