That's good when they have large crests like that they can have neurological problems. My youngest Runner drake 7 months now has only been mating with his girls for about a month.
It will be interesting to see him develop more. I know sometimes they can have a delayed effect. So far the only difference I see is he holds his tail to the left, but that could be a structural thing.

Do the crested duck breeds all have neurological issues, or just certain ones?
I think it's any created duck is capable of having problems, but from what I understand "proper" breeding can alleviate a high percentage of problems. Now I can't actually explain what proper breeding is, that's just how I've seen it worded

Interesting...
I've also seen more than just your standard white crested ducks...does that mean they are a mix breed, or is it a defect that can happen to any of them?
That I'm not really sure of, but I do have a speculation. With chickens, their standard is essentially all visual whereas with dogs they have a pedigree that they track and follow. So with a chicken you can make different colors by creating a crossbreed and then selectively breeding it back to the visual standard of the chicken, therefore making it a "purebred." So my speculation would be that some duck breeds have been crossed with a white crested duck, and then bread back to whatever its original standard was. That's a hundred percent an idea oh, and I have nothing to back it up with.

I've been looking into the Auction my dad suggested and what they put the poor animals in is sad. They keep ducks/chickens/muscovies in boxes and very small cages, understandable, but not a lot of space to move.
View attachment 2007824View attachment 2007825View attachment 2007826
I always hate seeing this too. .but usually you have to take them in something that whoever buys it can take the whole thing. . so you would be losing money and time putting together nice cages. People won't pay extra for the nice pen/cage.
This is normal for auctions. It is for the safety of the birds and because you need the birds handy and close by at auctions.

I normally use cheap wire cages I make for the adults. I use card board boxes for chicks so they stay warm and avoid drafts..

Of course, I place as many dux as I can in plastic bags with twisties tying them shut!!:lau:lau:lau:lau

oh, also, Good Morning Dux Peeps!!

Good post. . until the end. 😒

Back
Top Bottom