Just like the Ostrich that is so sweet. So as soon as they hatch the mama gets up and leaves? Or does she even brood?

The males do all the brooding and chick care :) They actually will raise the chicks until they are about five to seven months old.

What are babies called chicks?

Yep! Chicks :) I saw a video of a chick the other day and I was really tempted to hatch again this year. But I am trying to resist and wait until I'm getting eggs from my own birds.

Sounds like a plan to me! How do they get along with other birds @Pyxis are they territorial?

They are territorial. Mine were raised with all the birds on purpose, so they tolerate them. Ciara will eyeball new ones that are added to their pen, though. Those two pekin ducks I added the other day were not thrilled to have her sidle up to them to check them out, haha. She always stretches up to her full height when she does it, too. But today she's paying them no mind and they're just following the geese around, no trouble.

Pyxis those are really awesome! Thanks for sharing the pictures. I haven't talked about it much but I would love to meet an emu. :love

If you ever find yourself in VT, stop in. Ciara will let you pet her :)

So I've got a guy on mewe that I'm constantly referring people too for rare chicken eggs. He's always been nice and thanked me. So I finally wrote him in search of Leige Fighter eggs. 2 private messages and 2 public tags later and still no answer... Kinda erks me.

Oh, are you after Liege Fighter eggs? Those eggs I have incubating now are Luikse Vechter (liege fighter). I can point you towards the breeder mine are from.

Speaking of, it's confirmed that they really are all developing. They must have had a really gentle trip through the mail.

If you ever find yourself in VT, stop in. Ciara will let you pet her :)
I have a good friend that lives in VT. I can't remember the town off hand but he's in the Green mountain range somewhere.

I wish I had seen your post a little bit sooner. I've already ordered Malay eggs. I've been looking for O Shamo, Ko Shamo, and Liege Fighters for months now. I have been able to find them, but most people want way to much for them in my opinion. I've already lost over $400 in O Shamo eggs (still no shamos walking around) so I'm a bit reluctant to keep spending high dollar on eggs that might or might not work. I'm not referring to the breeder you mentioned, just about shipped eggs in whole.

Hey @Pyxis they don't need a male to lay eggs. We've had a hen that would lay and sit on her own clutch every year despite there never being a male around her. And it was way harder to rob her nest then its ever been to take from a male :oops:. @Miss Lydia they get a similar temperament of a gander at breeding time, some are fine, some are scarey. Hormones. But I'd say over there you guys have done alot more focus on breeding the more friendly ones, that's not something we have the luxury of here.

Back
Top Bottom