Just make sure you have an electric fence around them to mitigate ground predators. Once they are big enough to be outside, they do pretty well. If there's a top bar on your fence, that's an ideal roost... Electro netting mitigates that for the most part. But they can jump 7' so a 4' fence means nothing to them until they are on the wrong side.

Just make sure you have an electric fence around them to mitigate ground predators. Once they are big enough to be outside, they do pretty well. If there's a top bar on your fence, that's an ideal roost... Electro netting mitigates that for the most part. But they can jump 7' so a 4' fence means nothing to them until they are on the wrong side.

Like he said.

I use electric netting too. But you will have a couple jump the fence then scream bloody murder because they can’t figure out how to get with the rest of them.

Also don’t let them stay outdoors until they are full grown, hawks and owls love to pick off stupid young turkeys.

Hi, we smoked two turkeys and a duck but just the two of us for Thanksgiving which is also my 37th anniversary champagne and smoked duck, sweet potatoes and apples with rum sauce, and fresh turnip greens out of the garden.
Happy Anniversary!! That sounds like a wonderful celebration meal.

Teen aged turkeys.... around 10 pounds still fly well. And they have no tolerance for hawks.

I use 1 week old chicks to mentor 1 day old turkeys. The chicks will never integrate into the chick flock. They will stay with their Turkeys. When a predator takes one of the mentors the turkeys have no problem taking out the predator. In my case it was a barred owl who took out the rooster taking care of the turkeys... The turkeys killed the barred owl and enjoyed the meal.

Teen aged turkeys.... around 10 pounds still fly well. And they have no tolerance for hawks.

I use 1 week old chicks to mentor 1 day old turkeys. The chicks will never integrate into the chick flock. They will stay with their Turkeys. When a predator takes one of the mentors the turkeys have no problem taking out the predator. In my case it was a barred owl who took out the rooster taking care of the turkeys... The turkeys killed the barred owl and enjoyed the meal.
Would they also kill raccoons? - I'm seriously thinking about guardian Turkeys for my ducks now…

Wow a barred owl is huge. We have a pair here that call back and forth every night. I have barn owls too but I only hear them occasionally.

Back
Top Bottom