I have a flock of ravens that were stealing eggs right out of my nest boxes. I dealt with it (considered it 'payment' for keeping hawks away) until they stole live chicks from a broody. At that point I had to lock all the birds up in the coop until the ravens learned that there weren't any more free eggs around for them to steal.
I just started to collect the eggs right away after letting the ducks out in the morning and that solved the egg stealing problem. The crows still help themselves to the pellets but, as you stated, i see that as payment for chasing the hawks away too.

Only 3 crows here and so far they are staying in the woods behind my house. I haven't seen them in my trees or around the buildings... yet. I don't really want them to learn that there may be food here, but the chicken feed is inside and the garden or compost pile is the only other food source. So far they haven't been interested. That's why if I feed them anything I want to do it closer to where they hangout than my house.
The hawk was back yesterday and stayed about 10 min. then left with the crows trailing. Wherever he went they went with him, because I didn't see them most of the day. But I didn't see the crows before he showed up so I think they follow him around(?) lol. Great warning system if they do that.
The crows here are adepts in harassing hawks: This summer the red-tail hawks have raised at least one chick, enduring plenty of crow attacks and that young bird was sitting in a tree nearby my house. Out of nowhere several crows dive bombed it and knocked it off the branch, it almost fell to the ground. Just a few days later the whole hawk family left the area, i guess they've had enough.

A funny story from yesterday: In the morning i forgot to close the door of the little metal-shack, where i store the duck-pellets, sunflower seeds and cat food bags, behind me. Some of the ducks snuck in and chewed through the cat-food paper bag…
Hours later i noticed that there was no duck visible outside, but i could hear happy duck growls from somewhere…
They have eaten through ½ of a 20lbs bag of cat food and it was instant panic when i suddenly stood in the door and said »BOOOH!«
:gig
Loud quacks, wings flapping feathers everywhere and everybody ran out and slipped on the snow-covered wooden boards.

A funny story from yesterday: In the morning i forgot to close the door of the little metal-shack, where i store the duck-pellets, sunflower seeds and cat food bags, behind me. Some of the ducks snuck in and chewed through the cat-food paper bag…
Hours later i noticed that there was no duck visible outside, but i could hear happy duck growls from somewhere…
They have eaten through ½ of a 20lbs bag of cat food and it was instant panic when i suddenly stood in the door and said »BOOOH!«
:gig
Loud quacks, wings flapping feathers everywhere and everybody ran out and slipped on the snow-covered wooden boards.

See they are evil, a head should have rolled as an example.

Back
Top Bottom