Sudbury isn't that far from here, yes. We have TONS of lakes and rivers here, and swamps. In the Spring, you need to watch out for the turtles crossing the road! I'll sometimes stop and usher some of them across, to make sure they don't end up squooshed.

And yes, Blanca would turn white from the cold! :lau

Yes, that draining certainly is a b***c! LOL! Sorry, I shouldn't make fun of typos but that one was just too funny!

I am not averse to digging myself a hobbit hole type of home, btw.
You would have to be an underwater-being, if you would dig anywhere on my land you will hit water. I learned it the hard way this winter when digging plant holes:
full
A tree house would be a good option…

They were inside, since it was still a bit too nippy out there. I think it's just a case of inexperience, honestly. This was her first little. I'll give her a few weeks, then get her bred again. I was hoping to have kits to sell at a local livestock show at the start of May.

Now I still have 8 left, from two other does, but two of the kits were fathered by my favourite buck who died from pneumonia (from aspirating water). The remaining six are also gorgeous, with very interesting colours. I took the opportunity to map out the two parents' genetics:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/rabbit-genetics-i-think-i-got-it.1569781/

The doe is my baby, even though she isn't very social. Actually, she's mine and my boyfriend's. I refer to her as our daughter, so I don't know if it would be ethical to sell my grand-children, lol!
Ferengi rule of acquisition #6: »Never allow family to stand in the way of opportunity.«

Sudbury isn't that far from here, yes. We have TONS of lakes and rivers here, and swamps. In the Spring, you need to watch out for the turtles crossing the road! I'll sometimes stop and usher some of them across, to make sure they don't end up squooshed.

And yes, Blanca would turn white from the cold! :lau

Yes, that draining certainly is a b***c! LOL! Sorry, I shouldn't make fun of typos but that one was just too funny!

I am not averse to digging myself a hobbit hole type of home, btw.
So there was a turtle in the middle of my street. I stopped to move it out of the way reached down, it was an alligators Snapping turtle nope nope nope. Not touching that.

So there was a turtle in the middle of my street. I stopped to move it out of the way reached down, it was an alligators napping turtle nope nope nope. Not touching that.
Yeah, we have a lot of very big, very mean snapping turtles around here. One of them I had bite the sole of my shoe and dragged it across to safety.

In 2004 we had back to back hurricanes come through not the wind but the rain flooding all over and one day I went down to check on our neighbor's property they are [Floridans] There was a huge Snapping turtle that had gotten washed up on the dirt road. And the water had reseeded so he was pretty much on his own. Steep banks etc to get to the river. Not even thinking that thing could take off my fingers or hand I picked it up and put it over the bank. it must have been dehydrated and confused no telling how long it had been out of the water. But thank goodness it didn't even try to bite me.

So there was a turtle in the middle of my street. I stopped to move it out of the way reached down, it was an alligators Snapping turtle nope nope nope. Not touching that.
Neighbors showed me how to safely grab a snapper, still i wouldn't, not even with a knight's glove. I had one on my driveway that wouldn't move, so i used a pitchfork. It bit into the steel and in the end was dangling from one of the prongs before finally let go.
Nightmarish animal!

Yeah, we have a lot of very big, very mean snapping turtles around here. One of them I had bite the sole of my shoe and dragged it across to safety.
Folks here claim that they're tasty and make a rich broth, there's even two turtle hunting seasons where WV residents are allowed to take up to six specimens…

In 2004 we had back to back hurricanes come through not the wind but the rain flooding all over and one day I went down to check on our neighbor's property they are [Floridans] There was a huge Snapping turtle that had gotten washed up on the dirt road. And the water had reseeded so he was pretty much on his own. Steep banks etc to get to the river. Not even thinking that thing could take off my fingers or hand I picked it up and put it over the bank. it must have been dehydrated and confused no telling how long it had been out of the water. But thank goodness it didn't even try to bite me.
Yes, 2004 was a bad hurricane season! - I searched hard for it, but couldn't find the meme-picture where god was throwing one hurricane after the other at Florida for electing DoubleYou again. Katrina, Rita,… bad, just bad.
And yes, we had our fair share of tropical downpours from dying tropical systems on this side of the mountains too, i remember T.S. Zeta of 2020:

Back
Top Bottom