And the Junior situation will improve daily, i am convinced that next weekend you will have a flock of eight happy ducks running around in your orchard.

Junior was joined into the flock this morning after having spent a second night in a crate inside the duck house. I figured that in the morning the smell and the memory of belonging together would be the strongest.

It went very well. Only every so often the most assertive veteran duck would peck at her and then I yell and everybody freezes for a couple of minutes. But it's nothing compared to the frontal attack staged on the first day.

We're thinking that she should still be in the crate overnight for the next let's say 3 nights or so just to be extra safe. It will be easy to catch and place her in the evening because she runs so poorly :( Runs for a short while, then just plops down. But when she does run the legs seem straight and well placed. I'm giving extra niacin (in all the water basins).

My current worry is that Junior is eating and drinking very little. I talked to the breeder that I received the first batch of ducks from and she told me that their mother also came from that several-hundred-ducks farm. Like our 3 newcomers she also did not really understand water and forage very well for a long while, having had only very little of both available where she grew up.

Junior second from the left. Most ducks managed to fit into the photo.

photo_2023-05-31_08-49-30.jpg

They are beautiful ducks, and so great to hear things are settling down with them and Junior. She may have a niacin deficiency are you able to get liquid B complex? Nutritional yeast is good too but when one is showing symptoms of niacin def it's best to pull out the big guns.

Good Wednesday Morning and Evening to you all.

We have a concentrated cocktail of vitamins and minerals in which niacin is strongly featured, so I'm adding that to all the water basins after the ducks are done with the morning bath and again in the afternoon when the water cycle repeats.

We're hopefully also receiving some inactivated brewer's yeast tomorrow which should be great as a source of B vitamins and of protein. Let's just hope the taste is acceptable.

It could be a geometrical problem :) I mean, at the too-many-ducks farm where she grew up, it's all on the hillside and the ducks keep going up- and downhill. Whereas we're 100% in the plains.

Forgot about wind turbines. All this green energy is great in theory but they haven't thought of the long term effects of building it. Wait till they find outthat the lithium for electric cars is mined out of the ground (yes over here people do not know this)
It is not only the Lithium. Look up rare-earth metals…

Back
Top Bottom