We have a concentrated cocktail of vitamins and minerals in which niacin is strongly featured, so I'm adding that to all the water basins after the ducks are done with the morning bath and again in the afternoon when the water cycle repeats.

We're hopefully also receiving some inactivated brewer's yeast tomorrow which should be great as a source of B vitamins and of protein. Let's just hope the taste is acceptable.

It could be a geometrical problem :) I mean, at the too-many-ducks farm where she grew up, it's all on the hillside and the ducks keep going up- and downhill. Whereas we're 100% in the plains.
You can also try to cook some vitamin-rice, remember the calcium-rice recipe, just switch the Calcium-Glucconate against your vitamin cocktail…
The ducks will eat all of the rice, but they won't drink all the water…
Just make sure that Junior eats enough of the rice.

I am a bit concerned about Junior from your decision: I have lost a six weeks old duck(ling) who just ate and drank less and less and finally died in a colder night (12° in August here). There is a condition called »failure to thrive« which requires additional attention and motivation give to the affected duck. Additional encouragement to eat and drink.

Btw, dry cat-food is a good supply of protein for "starving" ducks. - And it is not as expensive as other treats.

1685566446677.png

Must be. I'm sorry I really liked that drake but I got crested and the compromised duckling with this batch too. At least I know the signs now. Its a hen, it quacks before 2 weeks. Paralysis starts in the feet at two weeks and moves up. It stops growing.
Weirdly it seems to be coming through the Saxony line I added. The Saxony drake has no penis. Could he still fertilize eggs????

Weirdly it seems to be coming through the Saxony line I added. The Saxony drake has no penis. Could he still fertilize eggs????
Somehow, I don't think so... Unless he has a stump of one, but the internal geometry of the female duck (reverse corkscrew) may make it impossible...

Yes he can! - The penis has only developed to increase the probability of fertilization during forced mating. If the drake is wanted by the female duck, only »the kiss of the cloaca« is necessary.

Friends, can you do me a favor? - If you hear a »thudd« outside, can you please check if that was my left arm?

I went into the duck-house to bring Water and Food to Buffzilla and to collect the eggs. Here is Buffzilla in her Nest Burg:
full

Usually there are 1-2 eggs in the nest on the ground floor, right below the nest-burg, so i reached in there and was struck by a feathered lightning! Look who's there:
full

That's Violeta Duck! - She hit my arm so hard, not even Google can find it…

Back
Top Bottom