Yes, immediately before dropping down she gets into a hunchback pose. Makes a step or two after that and bam, done for a while.

We believe the conditions on that farm were really bad and all the young ducks were malnourished due to competition and due to food and water lacking in quantity and quality.

So we're trying to make up for that but I don't know to what extent developmental problems can be fixed after 2 months (not 5 - that's our oldest batch, they are fine) of a duck's life.
Do you have anything like the SPCA there? I would report that farm for abuse and endangerment of the animals. :mad:

Yes, immediately before dropping down she gets into a hunchback pose. Makes a step or two after that and bam, done for a while.

We believe the conditions on that farm were really bad and all the young ducks were malnourished due to competition and due to food and water lacking in quantity and quality.

So we're trying to make up for that but I don't know to what extent developmental problems can be fixed after 2 months (not 5 - that's our oldest batch, they are fine) of a duck's life.
Just two months old? - That is very good! A lot of things can be fixed in a two month old duck. Just keep up the good work with food and water. The HillBilly recommends swim training if possible. Pond or kiddie pool, deep enough so that her feet do not touch the ground. If she doesn't want to go in, just grab her and set her into the water. Water exercise is best for ducks as it takes the weight away from their skeleton and allows to grow muscles.
What i did with my Mr. Limpy was: I sat him down in the kiddie pool, grabbed some treats and thre one in the water. He paddled to get the treat, then i threw the next one in, away from Limpy so he had to paddle again. Rinse and repeat until the duck develops leg like a body-builder… 😜

I don't really know for sure what's wrong with your duck but I would definitely Try supplementing with some vitiamin b in case it's just leg weakness due to niacin deficiency.

@Supercow And this is how a 💩 from a broody duck will look like. The concrete tile is 30x30cm…
full

I don't really know for sure what's wrong with your duck but I would definitely Try supplementing with some vitiamin b in case it's just leg weakness due to niacin deficiency.

Thanks for dropping in @shawluvsbirds .

This is what we're doing:

- vitamin concentrate in water (a broad set of vit's / minerals; let's say this is something like "rooster booster" in the USA)
- main food is peas (bcs she prefers them and can eat a lot; also some corn)
- sprinkled with yeast (B complex) and finely ground eggshells (calcium)
- kept in a dog crate inside the duck house overnight for safety
- kept in a very large dog crate most of the day so that we're sure she's eating and drinking and how much (the other ducks gravitate towards her although they also do long-range trips around the property)
- let out of that crate for an hour or two to try and get some exercise (running to catch up with the group when it moves).

Most of the above has been going on for the last week and a half.

The little duck has grown overall and its large feathers are growing. But no real progress yet about walking. Can run for 15 ft, then gets into the hunchback pose as seen in the video, staggers for 2 more steps and drops, then needs to rest for a moment before it can be raised to move again.

Mostly she just sits in one place when out of the crate unless the flock is on the move. Picks half-heartedly at grass, doesn't approach food or water basins. Is then transferred back to the crate where she eats and drinks just fine.

One explanation would be that she was bullied heavily by stronger ducks in her original home so she's just super passive when in a group - although she does want to be a part of it; runs to join them, calls to them when they move away, etc.

The 5 older ducks attacked her when we first brought her home. They pestered the 2 (somewhat older) ducks that came with her as well but not by far to the same degree. Now they don't anymore but maybe that was just one bad experience too many.

Our next move will be what @WannaBeHillBilly suggested - we seem to be thinking along similar lines: water based exercise, ie. we'll fill a grape picking tub with water high enough so that she has to paddle and just drop her in (while standing by of course).

@Canadian Wind - Here is the reason why i don't dare to touch Violeta Duck's duckling:

full
Do you see that tiny cloud of smoke over her nostrils? Come a little closer and you will get fifth degree burns…

A wider angle picture shows that the dragon's tail is spreaded out which is a sure sign that she is ready and willing to attack, smoke still lingering over her nostrils…​
full

Back
Top Bottom