Busy again today (Saturday), i painted the parts of the compost-sifter and added two wood-strips to securely lock it to my wheelbarrow:
full
I could not put the chute on top, its paint had not dried:
full

Before you ask why i have painted the base of my construction in whiteā€¦ - I have bought two gallons of white Barn & Fence Paint by mistake and have only one red gallon of the red paint. The white paint is not as good in protecting the wood, so i use it for light duty, like trellises or the base of my construction where the wood won't come too much into contact with soil.

Fortunately i don't own a golf-court! - Most of my 16 hectares (40 acres) are heavily wooded, only about Ā½ hectare is actually usable for me and the dux at the moment. I am still struggling to fight off the autumn-olives...

Oh trust me, i have been recommended everything from goats, sheep, rabbits, donkeys and even nutria to get the upper hand on the approaching vegetationā€¦ - Thank you very much, but no thank you! Ducks are enough for now.

I just got surprised by the Monday Morning forecast: 4Ā° (39F) - that might be a close call for the bell-peppers.

šŸ¤£ Did she gave them peas?

I wasn't! - But it looks like an interesting fruit tree! I Germany its called Siberian Blueberry. Here its called Blue Honeysuckle - !!! - Waitasecond?! Honeysuckle! We do have several species of Honeysuckle growing here in the area. I wonder if the Siberians are already out in the wild.
Honeysuckle! - An interesting group of berry-shrubs. Great for Nectar and great for berries. Thank you very much for the reminder!
For sure she did give them peas. It is a bit of extra cost but I'm happy to see her establish a good relationship with the ducks since I'm the only thoroughly plants-and-animals person in the family - I'll take what I can get.

As to honeysuckle, the Lonicera family, yes, there are wild native ones all around but I believe it's not likely to find this particular species in the wild, at least not as far south as we both are.

When haskap first started being popular the fruit was small, with bitter notes, very low solids, basically survival food - not something you'd want to have a full bowl of. Nowadays there are some really good ones, look at the Boreal series (Beast, Beauty, Blizzard) and Strawberry sensation. A bowl full of those is very much welcome.

Be aware that although haskap is not invasive (sadly haha), many other honeysuckles are, I think in particular japanese honeysuckle - it thrives even in the shade (unlike autumn olive), it's very decorative, it smells heavenly and if you fall asleep next to it you'll wake up entangled, like with wisteria.

Last edited:
Oh she will come back - she is a domesticated bird! - But in the wild, Momma-Birds neve go back to their nests.
Trudy won't need electricity, she will provide all the warmth her little babies will need, everywhere, not only in their home.
Is the your Goose-Caboose large enough for the new family members?
Yes there is plenty of space .. however.. certain family members of high ranking have suggested we do not have too many big birds walking around... (I was told I can keep one)

Back
Top Bottom