Goosebaby

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Nov 10, 2019
Northern California
I just learned this today going off of a hunch and I wanted to share this for the chance that it could help someone else.

If your goose or duck is overheating get their webs wet.
Definitly move them to shade or a cooler location and get them some water to drink, preferably with a tub of water for drinking and to have a bath, but if a bath isn’t an option for whatever reason pour or drip a little water on their webs, they have a lot of blood vessels in their feet and it seems to work fairly well. Reapply/ keep getting their feet wet until their breathing returns to normal.

If you’re new to ducks and geese how you can tell that they’re overheating is that they’ll be panting and breathing rapidly and heavily.

Last edited:
I have a tree in my goose enclosure. That offers a lot of shade. They also have a kiddie pool that I change 3 times a day. About every 3 or 4 hours. They also have a bucket were they drink and dip there heads in. I will also drop off some Cubs of ice for them to play with. When I do have it on hand I will cut up some watermelon and place in the fridge. When it is cold I give it to them as there daily treat. (They LOVE watermelon!)

It's been SO hot here. Yesterday it was 106! (Humidity is a killer) on days like those I feel bad that I cant spend as much time with them becouse it's so hot! So I try to make sure they have everything they need to beat the heat and entertain them selves.

Last edited:
I have a tree in my goose enclosure. That offers a lot of shade. They also have a kiddie pool that I change 3 times a day. About every 3 or 4 hours. They also have a bucket were they drink and dip there heads in. I will also drop off some Cubs of ice for them to play with. When I do have it on hand I will cut up some watermelon and place in the fridge. When it is cold I give it to them as there daily treat. (They LOVE watermelon!)

It's been SO hot here. Yesterday it was 106! (Humidity is a killer) on days like those I feel bad that I cant spend as much time with them becouse it's so hot! So I try to make sure they have everything they need to beat the heat and entertain them selves.
You’re doing all the right things for them!

I get watermelon and cut into slices and freeze them. Then when it's so hot I put a couple of the frozen melon slices in a pan of water. It keeps the water cool longer and of course they do love watermelon.

Back
Top Bottom