Toulouse Geese Thread

Shouldn't be long for you then once they start breeding I noticed eggs came about 2-3 weeks later then it will be up to her when she feels the broody bug, when you want her to begin to leave the eggs and see if she takes the bait. They say usually the first eggs aren't usually fertile so you might want to take the first half dozen for your nice fluffy omelets.

Thank you for the info. I noticed her trying to hide behind her run. I'll have to block it off so she has to go in her run to nest. Also is pine straw make a good nest? We have LOTS of it!!

Thank you for the info. I noticed her trying to hide behind her run. I'll have to block it off so she has to go in her run to nest. Also is pine straw make a good nest? We have LOTS of it!!
You could try it and see how you like it, I'm not a big fan of straw as bedding because it gets so messy and packs down, I like shavings [flake] it does so much better since it absorbs alot of the liquid, but you'll never know if you like till you try it. Good idea to block off areas she may try to use as a nest since you want her to nest and brood in a secure place if you have preds.

If one´s already laying regularly, you should know if they´re a pair...a true pair is quite obvious...the gander will kind of swan around, looking all macho. Right now I´ve introduced a couple of females to my existing flock, they´re not totally integrated, they hang around on the edge, and one of the females looks and behaves a little more like a male, although she´s not. She stands a little taller, keeps on the lookout, and she´s taking the lead of the two. But she´s a girl. Now, if she were a male, it´d be unmissable, far more protective, and almost glued to her side....even moreso with yours, now that you´re into the breeding season. Now, if the other goose you have there really is a gander, he´d never put up with an upstart randy drake trying it on with his gal! So, sounds doubtful. Can you post a reasonable pic of them for us to see?

You know both the duck and the one I thought was a gander are pretty much stuck to that gal. I always figured it was because the duck was the biggest of the bunch when we got them. We rescued the ducks and just a couple weeks later the baby geese were dropped off. Here is the latest picture I have of the three of them. I think I have some more, but I haven't had time to get them off my camera yet.

Can you get a few fertile eggs from someone else to put in with the others? Then you won´t be disappointed if nothing hatches from yours.
smile.png
I don't know anyone else with geese, but I figure if these don't hatch I might have to search out some. I am sort of falling in love with some of the photos of the buffs and the Sebastopol ones! I have time to find some. I am not really in a hurry to hatch a bunch, because then I've got to make room for the babies someplace, and with this never ending cold we have been having, I am okay with waiting till closer to spring for more babies. I just thought I would give it a try and see what happens.

You know both the duck and the one I thought was a gander are pretty much stuck to that gal. I always figured it was because the duck was the biggest of the bunch when we got them. We rescued the ducks and just a couple weeks later the baby geese were dropped off. Here is the latest picture I have of the three of them. I think I have some more, but I haven't had time to get them off my camera yet.

I don't know anyone else with geese, but I figure if these don't hatch I might have to search out some. I am sort of falling in love with some of the photos of the buffs and the Sebastopol ones! I have time to find some. I am not really in a hurry to hatch a bunch, because then I've got to make room for the babies someplace, and with this never ending cold we have been having, I am okay with waiting till closer to spring for more babies. I just thought I would give it a try and see what happens.
Well, of course, geese and ducks will imprint on each other if they are young enough, so that could be the reason for their closeness. and looking at the photo, the goose at the back certainly seems more masculine. Having said that, I have one goose that stands erect like that, too, but she´s definitely a goose! It´s just the general carriage and behaviour that should give it away.
The one nearest is very pretty! What a sweet face.
Well, it seems like you have time to think about what you want, and I´m sure you´ll have a lot of fun with goslings, wherever they come from!!
big_smile.png

Well, of course, geese and ducks will imprint on each other if they are young enough, so that could be the reason for their closeness. and looking at the photo, the goose at the back certainly seems more masculine. Having said that, I have one goose that stands erect like that, too, but she´s definitely a goose! It´s just the general carriage and behaviour that should give it away.
The one nearest is very pretty! What a sweet face.
Well, it seems like you have time to think about what you want, and I´m sure you´ll have a lot of fun with goslings, wherever they come from!!
big_smile.png
Beautiful geese and duck

Well, of course, geese and ducks will imprint on each other if they are young enough, so that could be the reason for their closeness.  and looking at the photo, the goose at the back certainly seems more masculine.  Having said that, I have one goose that stands erect like that, too, but she´s definitely a goose!  It´s just the general carriage and behaviour that should give it away.  
The one nearest is very pretty!  What a sweet face.
Well, it seems like you have time to think about what you want, and I´m sure you´ll have a lot of fun with goslings, wherever they come from!!  :D  

So here is something. The bigger one, most definately a fella. I was out the other day when the weather was a little warmer ( Ya, like the 20's). But he is a boy. I was sitting on a bale in there petting and feeding everyone, and he squats down and there was his business!

I did put the eggs from the last month in the bator, so I guess we will see what comes of it. I candled today and there was one that looked awesome, the rest I just can't tell so I will try to candle again in a couple days. It's my first time attempting to hatch geese so I am not positive of what I should be looking at. I just need to keep reading and learning. :)

So here is something. The bigger one, most definately a fella. I was out the other day when the weather was a little warmer ( Ya, like the 20's). But he is a boy. I was sitting on a bale in there petting and feeding everyone, and he squats down and there was his business!

I did put the eggs from the last month in the bator, so I guess we will see what comes of it. I candled today and there was one that looked awesome, the rest I just can't tell so I will try to candle again in a couple days. It's my first time attempting to hatch geese so I am not positive of what I should be looking at. I just need to keep reading and learning.
smile.png
Exciting, keep us updated.

pop.gif
Waiting for breeding season. I have decided NOT to set up an incubator. I'm just going to let them raise their own offspring, or not.
It´s very enjoyable...she does most of the work, important is to make sure they have access to plenty of grass/greens and top up with niacin, and then enjoy them. It´s so fantastic to see the gozzies with their mom and dad. have fun.

Back
Top Bottom