Toulouse Geese Thread

I have two hens (is that what you call the females?)
hmm.png
since the first of July. They aren't as pretty as many I've seen on here, but I'm not into breeding or showing so that isn't really a problem. But I'm wondering if they are healthy. They do act ok. Someone brought them to me so I don't know what kind of environment they came from or how old they are. If I could get some opinions here I'd appreciate it.

The 2nd one looks a bit better.

I have two hens (is that what you call the females?)
hmm.png
since the first of July. They aren't as pretty as many I've seen on here, but I'm not into breeding or showing so that isn't really a problem. But I'm wondering if they are healthy. They do act ok. Someone brought them to me so I don't know what kind of environment they came from or how old they are. If I could get some opinions here I'd appreciate it.

The 2nd one looks a bit better.
Two very nice looking birds. Usually a female goose is referred to simply as goose or geese. Males are ganders and babies are goslings. I don't see anything in the pictures that raises my suspicions as to their health. The first picture does look a little molty but that is common for this time of year especially in warmer temps. If they are acting o.k. (whatever that means) and eating, pooping and seem to be enjoying their little lives I would not worry.

What are you giving them for food. Geese are grazers but this time of year pastures and yards tend to be pretty dry. A diet of quality mixed flock food along with supplemental chopped corn and/or oats is good. Add to that the occasional treat of romaine lettuce, corn on the cob, watermelon and they will be just fine.

Thank you jtn! Yes, I believe they're still molting some. Not as obvious as when my 2 Chinese would molt leaving a sea of white feathers!. After losing my Chinese goose, I got these for my Chinese gander. I have the 3 of them in a yard next to the house for now to keep them separate from my roo that was tormenting the gander. I'm going to get rid of the roo next week. I don't want to deal with him. :-( And when he is gone the geese can free range with the chickens again.

We're high desert and dry here, but getting our monsoons now and they have some grass. I tried unsuccessfully, to get water fowl feed so I'm feeding them the organic mash I get for the chickens. (a local 'chicken co-op' group ships it in.) Supplement with some cracked oats. I've been giving them a small head of romaine daily and each get a piece of watermelon daily (small slice of pie size) and a slice of cucumber. Too many treats? Lots of 'loose' poop! I thought maybe the stress of moving caused that, but it's been 2 months now... Another thing, I've been concerned that they don't seem to get in the pool very often. They mostly just dip their heads in and preen...

I LOVE the little 'chortle' or chuckle of the Toulouse! The Chinese (especially the gander) can be loud and obnoxious.

Thanks again for the comments!

Thank you jtn! Yes, I believe they're still molting some. Not as obvious as when my 2 Chinese would molt leaving a sea of white feathers!. After losing my Chinese goose, I got these for my Chinese gander. I have the 3 of them in a yard next to the house for now to keep them separate from my roo that was tormenting the gander. I'm going to get rid of the roo next week. I don't want to deal with him. :-( And when he is gone the geese can free range with the chickens again.

We're high desert and dry here, but getting our monsoons now and they have some grass. I tried unsuccessfully, to get water fowl feed so I'm feeding them the organic mash I get for the chickens. (a local 'chicken co-op' group ships it in.) Supplement with some cracked oats. I've been giving them a small head of romaine daily and each get a piece of watermelon daily (small slice of pie size) and a slice of cucumber. Too many treats? Lots of 'loose' poop! I thought maybe the stress of moving caused that, but it's been 2 months now... Another thing, I've been concerned that they don't seem to get in the pool very often. They mostly just dip their heads in and preen...

I LOVE the little 'chortle' or chuckle of the Toulouse! The Chinese (especially the gander) can be loud and obnoxious.

Thanks again for the comments!
No problem with not getting in the pool much. They will when they want to and then probably to bathe and then right out. You don't really notice the molt with Toulouse except in the a.m. when they do their stretch and flap thing. White down all over and then that is that. As for poop being "loose" again not to worry. You will only see "formed" poop when they have plenty to graze on. Then it is mostly undigested grass...sort of like cows but a lot smaller thank goodness.

I have two female Toulouse geese and live in southeast Missouri.I am starting to think about the upcoming winter. Right now they are free range but was wondering about what to feed in winter. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

I have two female Toulouse geese and live in southeast Missouri.I am starting to think about the upcoming winter. Right now they are free range but was wondering about what to feed in winter. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
An All flock would be good and I also give all mine some whole corn once temps drop but only as an afternoon treat. They need a good feed with good nutrients. some also use Timothy hay or other soft grass hays for their geese over winter as an added source of food.

Welcome to BYC.

Does anyone have a buff gander that is close to Desoto, Missouri or Perryville, Missouri that they would like to sell. If you do please reply. Thanks Toulousemama.

I don't know of any for sell. It's been a bad year for hatching and raising for several of us. I will have goslings in the spring.

Hi, Toulousemama here... Today my girls had 2 new experiences and Gilda and Gertrude are now on their way to being all grown up......the first was watermellon, which to my surprise, they were like to kids in a toy store.....they couldnt eat it fast enough
1f609.png
....the second was their first encounter with a baby garter snake.... OMG!!!!!!!!! The wing were flapping and they were squaking so loud I thought my ear drums were gonna pop..... Lol. The good thing is that the snake didnt stick around and 2) they finally settled down so I could give them a small treat.... Lol. Well thats all for now... I wonder what tomorrow will bring in the lives of Gilda and Gertrude? Bye for now, Toulousemama......

Back
Top Bottom