Votes: 8 9.8%
  • Monthly

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Never

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Every Few Days

Votes: 17 20.7%

• Total voters
Pumpkins. They love pumpkins. Pick them up as leftovers from the local pumpkin selling place after Halloween. I cook mine and give them the skin. They also get their own pumpkins. The dogs love chewing on the pumpkins too.

Kitchen scraps. What ever is organic goes to the compost for them to pick through. Paper towels included. Bell pepper insides are very popular. As are out of date people food. The dogs object, but Crazy Lady has made her decree.

Yard trimmings, grub worms, most caterpillars and weeds. Mulch is very popular especially the pill bugs.

The store bought chicken feed is full of uncooked grain. When I spilled rice, the chickens get it. Too much dog hair for me to pick out. (under the stove, the floor was clean! And the dogs shed right after we sweep & mop. ;))

The feed store has bagged grains and alfalfa cubes. Sometimes at a discount price. Black Oil Sunflower Seeds (BOSS) are also well received and are higher in protein than the grains. Feed them raw, soaked, cooked or parboiled. Good stuff, Maynard!

With all treats, keep in mind the health of the flock. Protein is important, but everyone loves doughnuts. (Day old leftovers from work.)

I give my chickens one-two handfuls of scratch a day in the winter. They enjoy it, and it keeps them warm on cold nights.
In the summer time, I will feed my chickens tomatoes from the garden with bugs in them, and other garden scraps. I also give them fruit and vegetable scraps suitable for feeding chickens.
Just remember to still feed your chickens their regular feed as the majority of their food.

I vary the treats. Sometimes its live meal worms. Sometimes shredded cheese.

Even on occasion some slices of whole wheat bread, torn apart some they don't get greedy.

Then this winter I was getting boxes (1 lb.) of spring greens. I would use shears to cut up a bunch and feed them. Don't go anymore than a week feeding this to them. It spoils fast in the fridge.

There are lots to choose from.

My 5 MI girls are confined to their coop and enclosed pen in the winter months. I grow jars of sprouts and run the sprouts through a food processor with fresh kale, oats, fresh garlic and dried herbs for them. I usually mix up enough for 3 days. I deliver this treat daily in a pie plate. I also sprinkle some sunflower hearts, pumpkin seeds, hemp seeds, or fried egg on top most days. A couple days a week I sprinkle dried black soldier fly larvae (Cluckin Good Grubs) around in their bedding as a boredom buster to scratch around and hunt for. In warmer months they are free range and find their own bugs and greens. I do still sit out with them in the evening and (for my own fun) hold out big kale leaves for them to gather around and eat from or bring out chopped grapes to toss for them to chase after. On the hottest days I set out a big wedge of ice cold watermelon or halved cucumbers for the high water content to help cool them. I expect they get more treat than recommended but I make sure it is a good mix of greens (kale and sprouts), protein (seeds or fried eggs), grain (oats) and dried herbs (good for keeping parasites in check). I can say I have never had a fat chicken, LOL.
MVI_1010Trim_Trim_Trim_Trim_Moment.jpg

I am new to chicken raising, my chicks are 4 weeks old and I have only gave them the baby cakes that you buy at the feed store for them. At what age can you start treats, and what is acceptable for my age chicks? I will need to start them on chicken grits at the same time?

I am new to chicken raising, my chicks are 4 weeks old and I have only gave them the baby cakes that you buy at the feed store for them. At what age can you start treats, and what is acceptable for my age chicks? I will need to start them on chicken grits at the same time?

Start the chick grit (the nice small grit) as soon as you can. It won't hurt and it can certainly help.

Hi Everyone,
I like to treat my chickens and am looking for some ideas.

Just wondering what you like to treat your chickens and how often do you treat them?

I hang a head of lettuce in the coop and they all peck at it and eat. I have six chickens so it is gone in about 10 -15 minutes and they love it. During the summer I place it in the freezer for about 20 minutes and they love that!

Back
Top Bottom