Trouble with Pekin Leg

Jjmduckdad

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2020
Hi All- I have 2 pekins both around 6 weeks old come Saturday. We've been getting the run ready and they've been living in 110 gallon stock tank with 3 khakis. They all go out for most of the day weather pending, and get at least 1 bath a day. We noticed the pekins grew super fast and the one Pekin showed legs bowing out a little bit around 3 weeks old. I'm assuming due to the frame and rate of growing. The other Pekin looks normal. We've been feeding chick starter non medicated, 18% and have been supplementing Brewers yeast, poultry vitamins since we got them at a week old. We had posted about the one pekins legs a couple weeks back and a couple people suggested vitamin b complex, which we started right away for all the ducks. The Pekin with the larger frame and bulldog type stance was doing great over the last couple of weeks getting better extension in it's legs and getting around and standing up better. I introduced b vitamin complex almost 2 weeks ago to be safe and provide extra support. They get it once a day with their treat for the day, usually peas or romaine lettuce. Saturday they were out all day and both Pekins were walking great and no real issues.
Today when I let the ducks out, I noticed the Pekin with the larger frame and bulldog legs was almost limping with it's one leg and it's foot was pointed inward. It looks like it's almost walking on it's leg on a 45 degree slant inward and not able to get around as easily as it was just a couple days ago.
I don't know if it got hurt in moving around, but just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on what it could be and any suggestions on whether we just keep up with b vitamin complex, yeast, etc and see if it gets better? This Pekin is still eating normal and everything else. I follow a few of these groups religiously and have been doing everything we can for these guys. I'm in North NJ and the night temps are still 30s to low 40s, and the khakis and pekins aren't quite ready with their feathers (probably was going to let then out all night in their coop next week when we get closer to 50 at night.

Could you post a picture of the B complex you are using, and how much you are giving to them a day?
It's from tractor supply, the ducks get 3ml on their treats and my Pekin with the wider stance gets 1 ml a day

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200428-223002.png
    Screenshot_20200428-223002.png
    530.3 KB · Views: 2
When I take a video with my cell phone it says it's not valid file for uploading on this site? It looked straight in the bath today but when we went out the ducks left foot is literally facing sideways inward instead of straight ahead.
IMG_20200429_143733.jpg

Please don’t make her run right now! How long has she been on the liquid b complex. I would keep her confined for now so she doesn’t over do and give her some water therapy with supervision so she doesn’t try to get out of the pool on her own.

Possibly over doing before she is strong on her legs. What are you feeding and tell me how much complex your giving her an how? She’s getting 1 ml a day? Over a treat?

Back
Top Bottom