URGENT Roo is lethargic, can’t walk

Pics

Shugercube

Songster
Apr 17, 2022
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Came in to check everyone this morning and Copper was sitting in front of the pop door, letting everyone just literally walk all over him. Pale/floppy comb and wattles. He was kinda standing at first, then when I tried to reach for him he fell over. He can move his legs but can’t seem to get up or right himself now, just lays on his side. It was VERY hot yesterday, and I keep lots of water and give cold watermelon and tubs of ice water to help keep them cool. I’m not sure if he’s dehydrated or what. I’ve moved him inside for the time being and mixing up sav-a-chick and about to make him a mash with some hard boiled eggs too, to see if he’ll eat. I haven’t fully inspected him yet, my first goal is to get some fluids and/or food into him. Video attached. Thoughts??

How old is he? Is he a sebright? Was he vaccinated for Mareks disease? I would definitely get him drinking and offer a wet mash of feed water and egg. Poultry Cell is good and you can give it orally 1 ml daily for up to 3 pounds of weight. It has riboflavin, as the SaveAChick does, but it gets mire into them quickly. Human vitamin B complex or super B is alao good to use instead, and 1/4 tablet daily is good. I would suspect possible Mareks disease, unless this was an injury or vitamin deficiency. However dehydration may be the reason for his weakness. Here is some reading about Mareks:
http://csu-cvmbs.colostate.edu/Documents/vdl-mareks-disease-fact-sheet.pdf

How old is he? Is he a sebright? Was he vaccinated for Mareks disease? I would definitely get him drinking and offer a wet mash of feed water and egg. Poultry Cell is good and you can give it orally 1 ml daily for up to 3 pounds of weight. It has riboflavin, as the SaveAChick does, but it gets mire into them quickly. Human vitamin B complex or super B is alao good to use instead, and 1/4 tablet daily is good. I would suspect possible Mareks disease, unless this was an injury or vitamin deficiency. However dehydration may be the reason for his weakness. Here is some reading about Mareks:
Sebright about 19 weeks old now. I’m not sure if he was vaccinated, I got him as a 2 week old and he’s one of the first chickens I bought. I didn’t know about vaccinations for chickens so I didn’t think to ask. OMG I really hope it’s not mareks 😭

What can I do if my Huma has is?

I think my bird has the same thing! But she drinks ALOT. She basically sat next to the water and drinks every few minutes. She’s only vaccinated against new castles disease. As are the rest of the flock.

The poultry cell formula is called rooster booster. Is there a version for ladies too?
I gave her human vitamin B yesterday but it didn’t help.

You could dip his beak in the water from a small cup, or if necessary, try tube feeding. Unfortunately, Mareks can be common in sebrights from what I have read. I would try the vitamins for a week or two to see if it helps. Mareks can diagnosed during a necropsy by your state vet. There is a blood test available that can be done on blood that you can do at home from RAL labs. I hope that he doesn’t have Mareks.

Back
Top Bottom