URGENT Roo is lethargic, can’t walk

Well. Mister Copper is definitely getting stronger and stronger. He got himself almost out of his sling, and it actually hurt when he bit down on me while trying to tube him his dinner. He’s doing better at keeping himself upright, but still not strong enough/coordinated enough to stand, although he did try tonight (see video clip!). I’m not expecting that to change really, but I’m glad he seems to be able to at least rest without flopping over to the side. I held him on my lap for a bit while changing out his dirty towels, and he decided that was a great time for a great big yellow stinky cecal poop 🤢 right on my leg! Blech! But, I’m hoping that at least the fact that it’s a mostly normal looking poo is a good thing. I’m still never sure whether to say he seems to be improving, because it seems as soon as I say that he takes another step back. But, for now since he’s holding himself up better and pooping a lot more, I’ve decided to remove the towel “nest” and use regular pine shavings. I packed them in some, then made a small indentation for him to still have a little support. He seems to be comfy at least. I’m not sure how much time he has left, but I hope he can feel how much I love him and how hard I’m trying to keep him comfortable ❤️

60863A54-431B-4985-8ABB-80FAF27FBD57.jpeg

Is his left eyelid drooping much of the time? Does he hold it closed some? It does sound like like your tube feedings and good care are making him active, and increasing his strength and bodily functions.

So this morning he has a swollen bicep/tricep area that seems to be painful for him. I had to tube him and go, unfortunately, I have to drive hubby to work today. I can take photos when I return. I will grab some vetwrap while I’m out too, to wrap it up. I am not sure if this is another symptom or if he hurt himself trying to move around too much in his little cage. His comb and wattles are definitely getting color back, and he was very alert with both eyes wide open.

So this morning he has a swollen bicep/tricep area that seems to be painful for him.

When I got home it was no longer swollen; but now there is an open wound on the next joint down from where the swelling was. So I’m thinking an injury of some sort? Nothing seems to be broken or out of place, but I guess he somehow “lanced” the swollen area and it drained?? It didn’t look discolored at all, just swollen, and the wound seems a bit far from the swollen area to have drained it, but idk how that’s all interconnected.

How should I go about treating this? Do I need to put topical antibiotics on the wound? Give him oral antibiotics? Just wrap it and let it rest? Leave it alone?

I do see a little air bubble near his “shoulder” and that’s around the area where the swelling was. This is his right wing.
79FF8553-A669-467E-9CB8-7205BF3EA2EB.jpeg
EFBD3F5A-038D-4989-BA9C-8F475892A9AA.jpeg
A888DBE1-4531-4C78-9B44-7A0A4BB0EAAE.jpeg

I didn't know that in the USA you treat wounds with antibiotics?
If you do that, then it is very wrong!
Antiseptics are for wounds!
I've been following this thread since the beginning and it's impressive to me how much wrong advice has been given!
I sincerely feel sorry for that animal, because in the past 3 days she received so many medicines, that it is not normal!
Are you giving her a human vitamin? Do you know that a rooster is not human, and you are giving her a HUMAN vitamin!??
And that's just that vitamin, the poor guy also received electrolytes, artificial food supplements, crushed eggshells and more...
I told you to give him garlic and that's it! Nothing more, let him recover on his own, garlic is all he needs!
Even when you just dissolved garlic in water it came back to life and that wasn't enough proof that I was right? You probably thought it came back to life because of all that artificial crap!
But it doesn't matter, you keep filling him with all the nonsense advertised by pharmaceutical companies, I guess you will learn in time that we breeders from Europe who rely on natural breeding know something about poultry, and that our advice is correct and effective!
...And yes, give him an antibiotic for that wound, that will surely help him!:he

Back
Top Bottom