Washing fresh eggs or not ?

Keep them on the counter and wash right before use... cold water only; warm water can make the “pores” constrict and draw in bacteria. After 2 weeks we put any unused eggs in the fridge (still dirty / in the carton so they don’t contaminate anything) and they stay good up to 2 to 3 months. We have been doing this for 3 years and we have never gotten sick, nor have any of our regular customers.

Keep them on the counter and wash right before use... cold water only; warm water can make the “pores” constrict and draw in bacteria. After 2 weeks we put any unused eggs in the fridge (still dirty / in the carton so they don’t contaminate anything) and they stay good up to 2 to 3 months. We have been doing this for 3 years and we have never gotten sick, nor have any of our regular customers.
O-wow that's amazing, do you float test them before cracking them open?

O-wow that's amazing, do you float test them before cracking them open?
Only if they are over a month old; it’s always a good idea though to crack eggs into a separate bowl before adding directly to a pan. Sometimes there is a hairline fracture in the eggs that we don’t notice which can allow oxygen in and rot the egg (rare, but it happens).
Fresh eggs are amazing at staying “good.” It’s an evolutionary thing - the bloom around the outside of the egg protects its contents. That’s why you don’t wash an egg until you’re about to eat it; once the bloom is removed your eggs have about a 2 or 3 week shelf life and must be refrigerated. As a matter of fact, our Mexican neighbors told us that in Mexico refrigerating eggs is unheard of. They leave them in a cool, dark place unwashed until ready to eat.

That is interesting information, Thank you. :)

I have started to not wash the fresh eggs and keep them in the fridge in a carton. I give them away within two weeks of being laid and always float them in cold water first and clean them off before giving any away. :)

I see that. We always refrigerated the eggs were going to sell right away, but our personal eggs stay on the counter, dirty. Fresh eggs are very hard to peel after hard boiling; so we keep eggs to age on the counter up to 3 weeks. My husband makes deviled eggs out of these 3 week old, never washed or refrigerated eggs once a week and we’ve never had a problem.

Back
Top Bottom