What’s better chickens or ducks?

• Total voters
I have both..Bantam Chickens and Bantam Ducks ..I absolutely love both but definitely each species are different as far as care. I have Call Ducks that are fun little happy Ducks. I breed them. I also have a mixed flock of 13 Bantam chickens. Different breeds that are all happy and zero issues...:thumbsup

Last edited:
Ducks:

Make cuter noises.

I find a rich array of duck sounds, and have learned to talk a bit of Duck language. Females not only quack and males growl, but females also whimper, chirp, moan with pleasure, have a wide variety of quack tones, and body language adds to the meanings. A duck mother has a whole array of different whimpers that she uses to communicate with her clutch of ducklings. When soliciting sex, a female will approach a drake with her head tucked down to the left, bobbing over her shoulder, uttering a cadenced, "Uk, uk, uk, uk..." sound, and shifting from foot to foot.

2 of my drakes have taken to whistling after they successfully mount a female. I wouldn't describe the whistle as a "cat call," the whip-whew sound. No. A duck whistle is more like you would exclaim "Wow!" It sounds like "Whe-e-e-e-w!"

They also use their wings like arms. Ancient Tiny, who teaches the new generations the history and folklore of the flock, uses the tips of her wings like a centenarian with a walker. A duck mother uses her wings to push the ducklings back to where she can best care for or defend them. One time, I introduced my favorite, also current Alpha among ducks, to my new gosling. In the blink of an eye, he whupped upside her head twice with his powerful wing, and she died a few hours later of neurological damage.

Some people can hear meaning in the duck sounds. Most only hear, "Quack, quack, quack!" I appreciate when guests hear the different tones in the quacks, and come running when it sounds urgent. If one duck is in trouble, or if a predator enters the yard, the tone is much different. Now that I think of it, the actor who voiced Donald Duck may have listened to real ducks more than I expected.

When I first got ducks I only heard "Quack! Quack! Quack!" Now I hear things like, "Snack! Snack! Snack!" "Hawk! Hawk! Hawk!" "Cat! Cat! Cat!" and a distinct single syllable noise that means "Where are you?" When ones wandered away from the others.

My chickens are constantly screaming that they need to lay or just laid & making sure that you know the egg in there is theirs & not from somebody else.

Ducks:

More consistent layers.
Handle cold, wind, snow better.
Make cuter noises.
Lay bigger richer eggs with huge yolks.
Waste is not too hot and safe to put directly on lawn/garden/landscaping and does not take as long to compost.
They don't tear up the vegetation.
Less prone to parasites and disease.
x2! Very, very good description of ducks! All those those reasons are exactly why I like ducks better!

When I first got ducks I only heard "Quack! Quack! Quack!" Now I hear things like, "Snack! Snack! Snack!" "Hawk! Hawk! Hawk!" "Cat! Cat! Cat!" and a distinct single syllable noise that means "Where are you?" When ones wandered away from the others.

My chickens are constantly screaming that they need to lay or just laid & making sure that you know the egg in there is theirs & not from somebody else.
This is good!:thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom