What Antiseptics and Disinfectants are in Your Kit?

What's in Your KIt?

• Total voters
Most of the things I use aren't necessarily in a chickens only pack...but for different wound cleaning tasks, I'll use peroxide initially to make sure it's good and clean, and then the saline wound wash the following days. Triple antibiotic and bag balm 😍
Also, for cleaning brooders or bators I usually stick to alcohol or the gold Listerine (50/50 mix with water)...doesn't have the lingering harsh smell like bleach.

Love the Disinfectant wipes for quick clean ups in the brooders too!

Most of the things I use aren't necessarily in a chickens only pack...but for different wound cleaning tasks, I'll use peroxide initially to make sure it's good and clean, and then the saline wound wash the following days. Triple antibiotic and bag balm 😍
Also, for cleaning brooders or bators I usually stick to alcohol or the gold Listerine (50/50 mix with water)...doesn't have the lingering harsh smell like bleach.

Love the Disinfectant wipes for quick clean ups in the brooders too!
Oh yes, triple antibiotic ointment is a must have. Is there a thread on building the perfect kit? This is a really good topic, especially for those first starting out. :)

I once had a dog attack rip the skin so badly. I live in a big city and no vet would see my chicken. So I sat down with artificial "senu" and stitched her hand size rip, closed with a curved sewing needle. She sat quietly in my lap while I repaired her. I only used butadiene throughout the ordeal. I now keep surgical sewing supplies on hand... the needles come pre threaded.

I dug through my kit mainly to restock and there are a couple things that are fairly new but have earned a permanent place due to their effectiveness, cost point and multiple uses.
@FlyingNunFarm shared this with some of us last winter when her rooster Pat had frostbite on his comb pretty bad, it is a balm that has antiseptic and protective properties called extreme care.Extreme care chicken patching magic in a tin lol!
I used it on my disaster hen Marlene when she had a weird mouth corner growth "last resort, tried everything else" and the growth went away.
Used it to kill scaley leg mites and soothe their damage.
And of course it gets used as it first dazzled me, a rooster comb frostbite helper.
It has some ingredients that stimulate bloodflow and im thinking that is a big reason it is so effective in the healing process.
Sorry if I sound like an infomercial but good stuff deserves to be shared.
The second item comes from the same shop, they make a mean propolis tincture!
If you don't know much about propolis let me get hippy dippy and tell you about it.
Firstly, a drop to a pint of water makes a b complex vitamin chick booster which you can up to two or three drops for an adult bird that needs an energy boost.
Secondly, 50/50 mix as a spray on wound treatment.
Thirdly, lesion treatment aid like for canker or anything you might have trouble treating due to location.
I just soak a cotton swab and dab.
This tincture has antiseptic and antibacterial properties due to it's high b vitamin content and the fact it is suspended in an extremely high proof of grain alcohol.
You do have to exercise caution with it a little goes a very long way "don't get your chickens drunk lol!" and of course it is flammable so don't let them smoke either. :)

Back
Top Bottom