What did you do in the garden today?

Last year, I had s space on 2 sides of the rocks on the bottom of my wicking tub. This year I made a ring of rocks around my colander wrapped with a micro fiber cloth, so the potting soil will only get its water from the micro fiber cloth. I think this is an improvement to the original idea.

I have 4 tubs hooked up to a 5 gallon water reservoir, it needs to be filled once a day in the evening. I will grow Brad's Atomic Grapes in these tubs, since the fruit flies don't bother my cherry tomatoes, I feel this variety will work out better for me, because the skin on the atomic grapes are thicker than cherry tomatoes.

I am thinking about up grading to a 20 gallon water reservoir and changing my float valve to a little bigger size, so I can add nutrients with out it getting clogged.

DSCN0024.JPG

Last edited:
Hello garden friends. Been out of it for a bit and still a lot going on. My winter garden was left to fend for itself mostly. Shockingly some of it is still alive. Cabbage and collards, onions, walking onions. They're determined it would seem.

Just got my birds back laying. I had to stop feeding them the Dumor layer feed and switch to something more local... Suspecting the Dumor feed is deficient in necessary nutrients. Anybody seen something similar?

Starting to think about what I want to do this year for a garden. How much, how little. Won't be an easy year for it so I need to plan around the, uh, inherent challenges I'm going to be up against shortly.

Hello garden friends. Been out of it for a bit and still a lot going on. My winter garden was left to fend for itself mostly. Shockingly some of it is still alive. Cabbage and collards, onions, walking onions. They're determined it would seem.

Just got my birds back laying. I had to stop feeding them the Dumor layer feed and switch to something more local... Suspecting the Dumor feed is deficient in necessary nutrients. Anybody seen something similar?

Starting to think about what I want to do this year for a garden. How much, how little. Won't be an easy year for it so I need to plan around the, uh, inherent challenges I'm going to be up against shortly.
im feeding them dumor and they are NOT laying have not been for a few months now, pissing me off, will try tomorrow with another feed and see what gives

I feed Purina Homegrown 16% layer pellets. I also feed steam rolled oats, scratch, and BOSS every day but pellets are always available free choice. Anyway I noticed my 60 hens went from 2 dozen eggs per day down to a dozen. I had assumed it was because it's winter and I don't provide supplemental lighting but now I'm wondering if it's the layer pellets. They were on a 22% pellet (locally milled) but it's a much smaller pellet so I usually end up feeding more so a bag doesn't last as long. I figured the 16% would be sufficient since they are getting additional protein from the other things I feed, plus bits of hay & alfalfa they eat when I feed the goats.

Back
Top Bottom