What did you do in the garden today?

I bought allot of potting soil but basic mixed heavily of compost chickens and house some leaves with the chicken have a great medium in the garden plants seem to have taken off need to do something else with my tomato last year put it in a bag but did not do well at all will buy different tomato this year also

Yummy! Is your soil there naturally rich in nutrients or do you have to amend it? Ours wasn't exactly sterile, but it has been a long road to having a garden for us.
Many places on the island have very good soil... my yard is not one lol. We are sandy loam in my hood and we also have bad nematodes, so I love to keep tossing horse poop to amend (and amend and amend) some more :p.
Don't you just love it though? Finding worms and not having to use chemical fertilizers :D.
What is your favorite way to amend your soil? Cost, ease, smell... Just what works best for you?

UXRY5736.JPG
IMG_5112.JPG
IMG_5110.JPG
IMG_5113.JPG

Grandson and I decorated Christmas cookies, made snow angels, and had a snowball fight! He climbed up into the extra ( empty) chicken coop to use it as his base for the snowball fight!

I love winters here... View attachment 1983995
Bananas I cut down from a house I am watching while friends are away (my chickens ate ALL of my banana plants :rolleyes: bad chickens...) View attachment 1983996 and avos are from grandpa's tree -a graft that went to my DH's mom's place on Oahu about 40-50 years ago. Super big tree now and great fruiter, pretty cool. DH flew for doc appointment yesterday and came back with a few dozen avos and we shared a bunch.
Our papaya surplus is getting high but it's too good so I am NOT sharing this time... :pView attachment 1984009

I can't even imagine growing such things!! That's so awesome!

Many places on the island have very good soil... my yard is not one lol. We are sandy loam in my hood and we also have bad nematodes, so I love to keep tossing horse poop to amend (and amend and amend) some more :p.
Don't you just love it though? Finding worms and not having to use chemical fertilizers :D.
What is your favorite way to amend your soil? Cost, ease, smell... Just what works best for you?

I do love it! I'm trying to get away from them completely.

We have sand and clay with very little organic matter. I've spent a few years building the soil with composted mulch. I tried a bale of hay last year and that helped! I'll be doing that again this year. A nice thick layer kept the soil moist and temps more stable, plus added a ton of organic matter as it broke down.

I dug in some rabbit poop and worm castings this fall and the results have been excellent. No smell and the poop was free.

I do compost chicken poop, kitchen and yard waste but most of that is destined for shrubs and trees.

Good morning gardeners. It was 7F when I crawled out of bed this morning. Suzy Q and her molting sister hen are doing well this morning. I haven't moved them outside the coop yet. The temperatures are just now climbing up to 10F. It's only supposed to get to 17F today but it will be sunny. That should warm things up inside their plastic bubble. My poor houseplants are suffering from the dryness from the pellet stove blasting heat all day and night. I need to give them some love today. Like always, love the green garden pictures. I'm contemplating getting rabbits for their valuable poo. Just don't know what else to do with them. I'm not crazy about rabbit meat, too many bones. I don't find them all that interactive. Thoughts or suggestions? Have a great day everyone

Good morning gardeners. It was 7F when I crawled out of bed this morning. Suzy Q and her molting sister hen are doing well this morning. I haven't moved them outside the coop yet. The temperatures are just now climbing up to 10F. It's only supposed to get to 17F today but it will be sunny. That should warm things up inside their plastic bubble. My poor houseplants are suffering from the dryness from the pellet stove blasting heat all day and night. I need to give them some love today. Like always, love the green garden pictures. I'm contemplating getting rabbits for their valuable poo. Just don't know what else to do with them. I'm not crazy about rabbit meat, too many bones. I don't find them all that interactive. Thoughts or suggestions? Have a great day everyone
For me I would do cashmere goats, goat poo smells pretty nice and if you process them all the way to yarn it is so valuable. To protect your plants you can just tie em out either A) where you want the poo or B)where you want the grass trimmed.

In your case I guess you would have to feed them in winter though. For me I would just need to water the lawn.

Back
Top Bottom