What did you do in the garden today?

Morning 3 days of Sun here do not be fooled the rain will come back
maybe April BF said I should start to plant in the 3rd garage there is long table he said
I could start seeds there
I might start in our garage too. It's heated with a wall-mounted natural gas heater which dries out the air. I'll have to tent the plants probably so they don't dry out. Shouldn't be too hard. Just some cling wrap over cups perhaps until the plants grow a few leaves.

Aloha kakahiaka gardeners,
Yesterday was warm :( almost mid 80's and a great temp for summer or fall but not winter. We do have another cold front coming in on Wednesday/Thursday/Friday that looks like it may bring us some rain and certainly cooler temps.
All is well here. We picked a 5 gallon bucket of oranges and a big bowl of Starfruit this weekend, also enjoyed garden onions in our BYC eggs along with all of the salad greens I am able to pull out of the soil now-a-days.

I finished the bed liner on Saturday and it looks absolutely perfect. I'm very happy with the handling of the product and if it wears well, will recommend it. DH decided he wants to use a better paint for my lumber racks instead of what we have on hand so this morning off to town we go.

Yesterday we had a big blow to our pasture flock. Two wild dogs have taken up residence close by and are systematically killing off the chickens. Yesterday, my favorite "Red" did not show up along with his brother and a Silkie Roo from the flock down the road. We only have 2 Juveniles and one wounded roo to guard the flock now. Early this morning I did re-con, found where the dogs are sleeping and am thinking poison may be the way to go. Has anyone poisoned dogs b4? I'd shoot them but their lair is close to our small Hwy and I don't want to freak people out carrying a shot gun by the road- also horses and solar panels though I'm sure I wont hit they do interfere with a clear shot and give less opportunities. I've never poisoned anything b4 (except ants and roaches... and a few spiders). Not even a rat and I don't believe it should be the first line of defense if it can be helped. I guess I can check with HS to see if I can use one of their traps...
Thoughts on this people? Thanks!!

Aloha kakahiaka gardeners,
Yesterday was warm :( almost mid 80's and a great temp for summer or fall but not winter. We do have another cold front coming in on Wednesday/Thursday/Friday that looks like it may bring us some rain and certainly cooler temps.
All is well here. We picked a 5 gallon bucket of oranges and a big bowl of Starfruit this weekend, also enjoyed garden onions in our BYC eggs along with all of the salad greens I am able to pull out of the soil now-a-days.

I finished the bed liner on Saturday and it looks absolutely perfect. I'm very happy with the handling of the product and if it wears well, will recommend it. DH decided he wants to use a better paint for my lumber racks instead of what we have on hand so this morning off to town we go.

Yesterday we had a big blow to our pasture flock. Two wild dogs have taken up residence close by and are systematically killing off the chickens. Yesterday, my favorite "Red" did not show up along with his brother and a Silkie Roo from the flock down the road. We only have 2 Juveniles and one wounded roo to guard the flock now. Early this morning I did re-con, found where the dogs are sleeping and am thinking poison may be the way to go. Has anyone poisoned dogs b4? I'd shoot them but their lair is close to our small Hwy and I don't want to freak people out carrying a shot gun by the road- also horses and solar panels though I'm sure I wont hit they do interfere with a clear shot and give less opportunities. I've never poisoned anything b4 (except ants and roaches... and a few spiders). Not even a rat and I don't believe it should be the first line of defense if it can be helped. I guess I can check with HS to see if I can use one of their traps...
Thoughts on this people? Thanks!!
Is there an animal control agency you can call? Around here we would call animal control and they'd get the dogs and impound them, where they would either be rehabilitated and rescued or put down humanely.

Anybody have experience with "Joel" or "Jan" bush cherries? I believe they are both hybrids. I decided to order them instead of the "Nanking" because I found them online for $24 after shipping for one of each (1 Joel and 1 Jan) live plants. That beats the $15-$20 each I was seeing for "Nanking" cherry bareroot plants. Also, the Joel is described as similar to Montmorency cherry, which is popular to grow in Door County, WI, where we honeymooned. I really enjoy the taste of preserved montmorency as well so I'm hoping to make something similar tasting in the future.

Anybody have experience with "Joel" or "Jan" bush cherries? I believe they are both hybrids. I decided to order them instead of the "Nanking" because I found them online for $24 after shipping for one of each (1 Joel and 1 Jan) live plants. That beats the $15-$20 each I was seeing for "Nanking" cherry bareroot plants. Also, the Joel is described as similar to Montmorency cherry, which is popular to grow in Door County, WI, where we honeymooned. I really enjoy the taste of preserved montmorency as well so I'm hoping to make something similar tasting in the future.
I only have a Sour Cherry tree in my backyard. Have no idea on variety, or if it is a WILD TREE. :idunno
Never got enough fruit of it except to sample. My main reason is for the beautiful flower blooms it produces. I also tried a couple years ago to plant some of the seed pits from Bing Cherries:drool:drool:drool from store. Not a single one sprouted :idunno.
If your Joel, and Jan trees are successful for you,,,, I will get some of those.:thumbsup

I only have a Sour Cherry tree in my backyard. Have no idea on variety, or if it is a WILD TREE. :idunno
Never got enough fruit of it except to sample. My main reason is for the beautiful flower blooms it produces. I also tried a couple years ago to plant some of the seed pits from Bing Cherries:drool:drool:drool from store. Not a single one sprouted :idunno.
If your Joel, and Jan trees are successful for you,,,, I will get some of those.:thumbsup
They are tart cherries, which may not suit your fancy if you want something like a bing cherry, which are sweet. Tart cherries are used in pies, preserves, candy etc.

Back
Top Bottom