What did you do in the garden today?

I forgot I have a question regarding asparagus crowns. Most likely directed @karenerwin. How long after planting the crowns do you see any sprouts? I tried googling it and can't seem to find a good answer.
In Germany it is a whole 2 year process. First year they grow, and each year they re mound them. I saw a childrens documentary about it on "Sendung mit der maus" if you can speak german I could look that episode up for you. But there was also quite a bit of good video even if you can't.

NM found it!

Late edit for @Wee Farmer Sarah - The German style of growing it differs from how we usually find it in stores. But the dish is celebrated across Germany as it means winter is finally over. When it comes in season every grocer has the placards out! They grow them fat as your thumb and about 12 inches long, white and serve on a buttered/hollandaise sauce plate with a side of thinly sliced ham with potatoes. I don't know If I was just uncouth or eating the dish correct but my style was to wrap the ham around a thick stalk and eat it with my fingers. I couldn't have been missing the mark by much as I was always properly napkined. Oh yeah, and I didn't get odd vibes or stares.

Back to practical gardening-- I always saw it growing in a light sandy loam soil with about 35 inches of rainfall per year, plus a 4 month chill period with about an average daily high of freezing for that 4 months. I don't know if you have a different cultivar than what I always saw.

Last edited:
In Germany it is a whole 2 year process. First year they grow, and each year they re mound them. I saw a childrens documentary about it on "Sendung mit der maus" if you can speak german I could look that episode up for you. But there was also quite a bit of good video even if you can't.

NM found it!
Getting my popcorn !

Hi gardeners! After yet another 6-day work week and 2 more to go (hopefully) I'm facing the reality that my garden is going to be limited at best this year.

What brought home the reality finally, is that our refrigerator died this week. We lost a lot, but not everything - thankfully, not our whole pork/ lamb, soups, sauces and veggies that were all in the big freezer, or our picked/canned veggies, plus most of the cheese could be saved. At least we could compost most of what we lost, and the spoiled poultry we threw in the woods to let the scavenger wildlife have at it.

Our one day off was taken up by shopping for a new refrigerator, which won't be available for two weeks, so we bought a mini-fridge just to get us through and store a few days of meals. No point in growing things we won't be able to keep fresh.

So, I'm following Acre4Me's advice, to use this year to improve my soil by planting cover crops. My order of 2# buckwheat seed and 5# winter wheat seed just arrived, so the plan is to only plant a small section of cabbage and basil for fermented canned sauerkraut and frozen pesto, and sow the other 3/4 of the garden in buckwheat, to be tilled under in July. Sow another crop, till it under in September, then sow winter wheat and leave it until next Spring. Looking forward to see how my soil turns out next year.

Just for fun, I did also order some loofah seeds to plant on the trellis, to try something new. A three-month growing season should be OK for our area. And they're apparently not a crop that needs a lot of processing or special storage, you just dry them out and peel off the rinds. I'll let you all know if they turn out successful, as well as how useful they turn out to be for sponge replacements.

Thank you, all of you, for all your good suggestions and ideas.
Aloha @littledog , I am going to chime in on the loofah. My gal pal gave me some seeds quite a few years ago swearing by them. She is one of those awesome clean eating friend to the planet kind of gals and I love her info and input dearly. So, I plopped the seeds into the soil (I think winter here) where they were willing sprouters and quick growers. My yields were great and I gave away dozens and still have dozens left. I just dry, clean skin off, remove as much seeds as I can, then cut to size. They last forever, are great for dishes, chicken waters, coop cleaning. I hand to my DH for any dirty work he has and he loves them, they also rinse wonderfully. I highly recommend starting now with a few seeds, if you do not succeed... try again next year. I have left my extra sponges in a 5 gallon pot out in the elements and they are still fine. I just clean one off when I need. I even direct planted seeds after years with success (till a cutworm got so i will try again in a pot). The true sellers are yield and longevity of plant and sponge. They have loads of seeds inside- that can be a little bit of a pain to get out- but then you have plenty seeds for collecting and sharing. Plants can get big so you will only need 1 plant to fulfill your needs unless you plan to sell on ebay or etsy lol, so 3 seed in a pot in a warm spot, transplant when weather permits or 5" tall. They have aggressive tendrils and want to climb up, so trellis for sure or a sturdy chain link fence will do. Mine started climbing the mango tree so I had about 12 loofah's about 8' up, I had to repeatedly trim the ends. It was really out of control in a super awesome way, a very hardy and good looking vine. Also, like almost all vines, give plenty compost once established. It will love you for that.
20200524_104343.jpg

Harvest fruit when 8-10+" let dry. A sponge will last for.... 6+ months.

Last edited:
I went on slug patrol (they are awful this year!), planted arugala, carrots and transplanted my pepper starts into the raised beds.

Where are you located Please?

Planted the garden today. 7-10 and see what pops

Use jar lids pour a little beer in each slugs die drunk

Morning everyone, happy Memorial Day. (miss you D!)

@littledog - so sorry about the fridge! But you sound like you have a good plan going forward.

I planted the rest of the San Marzano tomatoes yesterday, some arugula seed & replanted some beans & cukes that my little critter friend is destroying. Dug out the trap but I'm not sure what I'm dealing with so not sure how to bait it! It went through my large pot of native butterfly weed seeds that had just started to sprout & tore them all up. Also tore up my lettuce & a very small fig tree I just started. :mad:

My girls have a new friend, a male pheasant DH has dubbed Phil. He's hanging out with Tom, lol. I think they're both hot on my girls. Not a great pic, but he doesn't sit still for long!
100104338_10223256631748759_1002379456318275584_n (1).jpg

Took the mean girl & her crate out of the coop, it's so nice to have more room back in there & the new girls appreciate the new roosts. Mean girl is up in the small coop, I put up a fence for her so she has a pretty big run that shares the fence with all the others. She slept in there by herself last night, I feel bad she was alone, but my life is much easier now. She'll stay here till I can try pinless peepers or we get rid of her.

Have a great day all!

Last edited:
Morning everyone, happy Memorial Day.

@littledog - so sorry about the fridge! But you sound like you have a good plan going forward.

I planted the rest of the San Marzano tomatoes yesterday, some arugula seed & replanted some beans & cukes that my little critter friend is destroying. Dug out the trap but I'm not sure what I'm dealing with so not sure how to bait it! It went through my large pot of native butterfly weed seeds that had just started to sprout & tore them all up. Also tore up my lettuce & a very small fig tree I just started. :mad:

My girls have a new friend, a male pheasant DH has dubbed Phil. He's hanging out with Tom, lol. I think they're both hot on my girls. Not a great pic, but he doesn't sit still for long! View attachment 2158756

Took the mean girl & her crate out of the coop, it's so nice to have more room back in there & the new girls appreciate the new roosts. Mean girls is up in the small coop, I put up a fence for her so she has a pretty big run that shares the fence with all the others. She slept in there by herself last night, I feel bad she was alone, but my life is much easier now. She'll stay here till I can try pinless peepers or we get rid of her.

Have a great day all!
Now my mean girl has her chick she doesn't love me anymore, not like she ever did once broody:confused:. Best wishes!

Back
Top Bottom