What did you do in the garden today?

It was raining today so not much happened. I collected more sticks so I can finish the fence as soon as it’s dry enough. The peas, radishes, and lettuce have all sprouted just waiting on the potatoes and onions to sprout now. Those will probably be another 2 weeks at least. I’ll be paranoid until the potatoes sprout especially with all this rain.

It was raining today so not much happened. I collected more sticks so I can finish the fence as soon as it’s dry enough. The peas, radishes, and lettuce have all sprouted just waiting on the potatoes and onions to sprout now. Those will probably be another 2 weeks at least. I’ll be paranoid until the potatoes sprout especially with all this rain.
Best of luck. Last year or potatoes roe in the ground due to several days of heavy rains that flooded the garden. Only one plant sprouted, and it did not do well.

I went to see my Granddaughter ( 3 and a half years old). I only saw her once in February and that was near the beginning of the month. We made plans to go to the park tomorrow! My daughter called me after I got home and said that she had promised her BF's son (3 and a half years old too) that she would call me to see if Kinley ( the granddaughter ) would be available to come over and play this week when he is at there house. I think we may take them to the zoo on Thursday. It's supposed to be sunny with a high of 61 that day!
I was going to plant some seeds today but so far that hasn't happened. I did buy some 4" peat pots and some seed starting soil when I went to the store today.

Morning all. Super cold & windy here, wind chills of around 0. I'm not going outside! Nope! I look out & the chickens are just walkin around like it's 60. Must be nice to have a fluffy butt.

I got my garden all planned out, I found an online garden planner that had a free 7 day trial, it's kinda neat. I still can't decide if I want to do squash & cukes in the garden & deal with the bugs or not. I have a fence that I plant cukes on outside of the garden, along with 2 giant pots on the deck that would work for a couple of the bush squash & keep those nasty bugs out of my garden. :rant

I have to find out where I put my hoops for the little hoop tunnel I'm going to do the lettuce in & get that ready to set up. Won't be long before I can plant some lettuce outside. @Wee Farmer Sarah do you just use plastic on your hoops or do you use garden fabric?

That's all I got for now. Have a good one.

It sounds like that commercial did really well advertising the wrong product! :gig
It's true, I didn't know it was a Geico commercial. That would have been my guess, but I didn't actually think about it till this discussion we had!

@Elyrian1 yep, I get that! I could not eat the chili, it was too hot & sour cream didn't help. DH poured a big bowl & added hot sauce before even tasting it. He said it was good, but not too hot. He has a bottle of Mad Dog 357 that he adds to everything. (that's supposed to be the hottest sauce in the world, 1 mil scoville). I like jalapenos, they are perfect spice to me & he can't even taste them. :confused:

Last edited:
I still can't decide if I want to do squash
Sueby, I have never had squash bugs on butternut squash (Curcurbita moschata). Since it's my favorite squash, I grow it every year. I've read that the moschata varieties are less likely to be bothered by bugs.

I grew Giant Banana squash one year (C. maxima), and had squash bugs on every plant. So maybe there is something to that.

Dunno what to say about cucumbers. :idunno

Do marigolds help with the bugs? I was thinking of doing summer squash this year...hmmm...
I don't think a nuclear bomb would have helped with the bugs I had last year. :rant At one point I resorted to using Sevin, & I never use that stuff in my garden. The neem oil & insecticidal soap didn't touch them, I used it every few days too. I had almost 20 cuke plants to start, I think only 4 grew enough to climb at all & I got 3 cukes the whole year. So not worth any of it.

The summer squash held up much better to the squash bugs, they were covered in them the whole summer, but still produced plenty of squash - I still have some in the freezer! I think the bugs showed up too late to the game & the bush squash I grew was too big & hearty by the time the bugs found them.
I despise marigolds & their smell. :oops: But people swear by them.

Back
Top Bottom