What did you do in the garden today?

First, can you explain the salt & cukes thing? How much salt & how long? Do you refrigerate while soaking? Do you rinse?
I just pile the cucumbers cut as I intend to pickle them (chips, spears, halves or small whole ones) into a gallon zip bag. I toss in some canning/pickling salt and fill it with water. I would estimate it's more than a 1/4 cup of salt I use.

This time I tried with just salt, and didn't add water. It's amazing to see how much water the salt draws out of the cucumbers. They're submerged in liquid now even though I didn't add any liquid to the bags. I might continue this method in the future.

I just pile the cucumbers cut as I intend to pickle them (chips, spears, halves or small whole ones) into a gallon zip bag. I toss in some canning/pickling salt and fill it with water. I would estimate it's more than a 1/4 cup of salt I use.

This time I tried with just salt, and didn't add water. It's amazing to see how much water the salt draws out of the cucumbers. They're submerged in liquid now even though I didn't add any liquid to the bags. I might continue this method in the future.
This is how I make pickle relish.

In non-garden news, but comes from my yard news, most of my hens hit 18 weeks this week and I've got my first egg! So excited!
First eggs are sooo exciting! Our "littles" have another few weeks to go before I expect to see eggs. Not in a huge hurry, our egg sales have really dropped off. Good news is that means I can now eat all the eggs I want, for a few weeks we sold everything as fast as it was laid and I was craving eggs :).

Made a double batch of zuc fritters so plenty of leftovers and I just put 3 heads of garlic in the oven to back. Sweet DP made bread so assuming there is any bread left in about an hour :gig, we'll have heavenly roasted garlic on fresh bread. :drool

If I get a good batch, sure!
Lol, yes if it turns out nasty, don't share! Haha!

No work outside, but DH, (love him so much!) made me a countertop extension in the RV kitchen. An extra 3.5ish sq ft of prep space! Planning for a potential second extension depending on how tricky we can get with a gap between the tiny fridge and entertainment center. Which... we're food people, not tv people. I used the entertainment center as a pantry extension and place to hang my pots and pans, lol.

And a wonderful thing happened today! It rained. First rain we've had in a couple of weeks, a very respectable rain, and I'm happy not to water in the heat.

Not in the garden, but all from the garden. I canned the salsa I made and a 3 1/2 gallons of pickles and relish. Here's pics of the salsa. It was a lot of work and a ton of tomatoes, peppers, onion and garlic too produce just 2 1/2 pints of salsa. It's delicious though and has a very sense flavor
20210725_231019.jpg
20210725_231028.jpg
20210725_231057.jpg

Good morning gardeners. More nice weather today, although it will be getting near 90F. Laundry, grass mowing and freezing kale today. I pulled the rest of the kale this morning then cleaned up the bed. It's nearly ready for a new crop. There's a row of chard in there but I may take that out in another day or two so will replant that bed after that. I froze 3/4 of a pound of green beans yesterday. I picked another 1/4 pound this morning. I noticed some tiny lima bean pods developing this morning. I should have some ripe cherry tomatoes in another 2 to 3 days. The kale is soaking in the salad spinner ready to be blanched. Just need to finish my coffee and get a load of laundry going. The great thing about freezing your homemade bread @oldhen234 is when you defrost it it still tastes freshly baked. I freeze the ends of the bread for making stuffing, croutons or bread crumbs. No waste. The salsa looks really good @BReeder! I won't be canning soon. If my peaches do well, I may be making peach preserves in a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom