What did you do in the garden today?

I'd probably just keep an eye on them, make sure she can & does get in the coop when she needs. Maybe Red just lost track of her when she couldn't get over the 2x4 - being a first time mom & all. Maybe show the chick how to get over the 2x4?

Course I've never had chicks (or kids!) so def do not listen to me. :lau :gig :lau :gig

About 3+ weeks ago, I ordered a dozen hatching eggs. Five hatched last Wednesday. I gave 2 chicks to a broody (named Red) and kept 3 indoors to be hand-raised. Red had been sitting on 6 eggs for weeks but they hadn't hatched. I ended up candling them and bringing them inside to put in the incubator. Three have since hatched. Anyway, I've owned Red for about 3 years. She has been broody in the past but this is the first time I've ever let her raise chicks. So far, she's done pretty good with them. Except last night. She apparently abandoned 1 of the chicks outside last night. I have a 2x4 across the bottom of the door frame to the chicken house to keep the goats from getting inside the coop because I keep free-choice pellets in there. It is possible or even likely that the chick couldn't get over the 2x4 and possibly was scared away from the door by other adults. My DH came inside and mentioned that one of the chicks was outside. I went running out there to find some older juvenile chicks (3-4 months old) were picking on the poor thing mercilessly. I mean picking her up and tossing her around. She wasn't injured but I'm pretty certain if I had not walked outside, she would likely have been pecked to death. :( I managed to catch her after a bit of chase and took her inside the coop. Red immediately accepted her back and both chicks are outside with Red this morning.

What do you think I ought to do? Nothing? Just keep an eye out? Take them away from her?
I say let Red keep the chicks, but can you ensure the chicks are able to get in and out the coop easily? How did the other chick get in? if you can do something temporary just for a few weeks until the chick is bigger to ensure the little chick gets in and out fine you should be alright.

I say let Red keep the chicks, but can you ensure the chicks are able to get in and out the coop easily? How did the other chick get in? if you can do something temporary just for a few weeks until the chick is bigger to ensure the little chick gets in and out fine you should be alright.
Maybe a little mouse hole like on Tom and Jerry in the middle of the 2×4. Chick could go through the tunnel.

Well the smoke from the western fires have made it to New England again. They were moving in yesterday afternoon and I started having breathing issues. It’s only 84F right now but I turned the AC on to try to filter the air in the house. I’m outside with the chickens right now and it’s a bit nasty. With 60 days left to your growing season @BReeder! just plant the stuff that doesn’t mind a little chill in the air. You should have enough time to sow some peas too. Just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom