What did you do in the garden today?

Summer squash. Just a germination test and I couldn't bear to waste them. I have 4 pots and they have little flowers forming. Bluebells in full bloom now. DSCN1348.JPG DSCN1349.JPG

I got a pleasant surprise while checking trees. 2 grafted butternut trees I planted last year have male blossoms formed. The trees are only about 3 feet tall. I may get nuts before I die. Trees grafted with scion from bearing trees are past the juvenile phase and bear early. I planted a grafted English walnut this year and I am encouraged by these results.

I got the call this morning, and officially am a chicken keeper!!
Black Copper Marans, 2 females and 1 male:
AD1D1A72-61DF-4CB8-9CA3-EB39F33699F3.jpeg

Cream Legbar, 2 females:
7C5843CE-E855-4465-9935-5A65AE390E70.jpeg

Lavender Orpington, ordered 5 females, they sent 6, one died in transit:
639743FB-8458-46CC-ACD5-1B8523190A0A.jpeg

One of the Orpington chicks will run out to me when I open the cardboard door.

I just wanted to keep hanging out with/checking on them... So, I had to distract myself with gardening. I moved my sage, thyme, and parsley to the garden beds up by the house. The sage is starting to have new growth, but the thyme has no signs of life, yet. I hate to kill/waste perfectly good plants, but I want these garden beds to be my perennial herbs and that means moving the poppies, daffodils, hostas and tulips.

Got my peppers, watermelon, and cantaloupe starts planted... And seeded some marigolds, butterfly pea, borage, pole beans, sunflowers, and sweet corn. We are expecting rain tomorrow so I really wanted to get it all in.

In the main garden, I still have green beans (bush beans), peanuts, and some herbs to plant. Still want to plant some sugar pie pumpkins, but I gotta figure out where to put them. And there's still a ton of flowers to plant....

I'm gonna be busy for a few more weekends.

I think I accidently cooked a tray of seeds.... I forgot about it being outside with the lid on... The ambient temperature outside got up to 87. It's day 9 and nothing is sprouting, when I usually see tomato seeds sprouting at day 6. I'm going to give it another week, but I think I fried them. 🤣😭

Anyway, during my lunch break I went home, watered, looked longingly at plants that I want to put in the ground. Filled a pot with soil. Then I had to go back to work. I'm looking forward to my lunch break tomorrow, I'll actually plant a few things! Hooray!

This spring weather finally settled in, which means I gotta separate the young sprouts from the turkeys and ducks.

Where do you live in? Harvesting already?? My sprouts are just coming in because it was so cold here in Virginia.
Sorry, that’s a very old post from someone who hasn’t been on BYC for years. The rest of us are still here though! Welcome to the thread

Back
Top Bottom