What did you make from your garden today?

Too early for spaghetti squash here, but I can’t wait to eat some!

I made a kale salad today. Normally I massage & serve immediately but I heard kale is less chewy when you massage with dressing than refrigerate until dinner. Tried that, and topped with parmesan and homemade croutons. So much better that way!

Also sauteed onions in oil, sliced some summer squash thin & added that, put a can of red beans in, and added paprika, garlic powder, and cayenne. Simmered til the squash was soft. Was an excellent compliment tonight!

Nothing I actually "made", but an interesting harvest. My first Yamato Silver watermelon. A good sized melon at just over 10 lbs, not only is the appearance of the flesh unusual but the flavor is also very different. I couldn't quite put my finger on it until I read some others describing it as being like Asian pear with hints of citrus. That's at least as good as any description I could come up with, so that's what I'm going with. I still think I like the Leelanau Sweetglo just a little bit better, but both are more interesting than conventional red-fleshed watermelons and I'll definitely be growing both again next year.
20220723_203436.jpg

Nothing I actually "made", but an interesting harvest. My first Yamato Silver watermelon. A good sized melon at just over 10 lbs, not only is the appearance of the flesh unusual but the flavor is also very different. I couldn't quite put my finger on it until I read some others describing it as being like Asian pear with hints of citrus. That's at least as good as any description I could come up with, so that's what I'm going with. I still think I like the Leelanau Sweetglo just a little bit better, but both are more interesting than conventional red-fleshed watermelons and I'll definitely be growing both again next year.
View attachment 3198718
Wow that is so cool!

Well DH tried a jar of the pickles I made and his face! And what's awful is they are sweet pickles not dill or anything.
So then after couple forced bites and awful faces he says I can't eat it honey.
Then he got some tea and we went to run errands. He looks over at me and says honey no offense but those were the worst pickles I've ever ate.
I gotta find Granny's recipe rather than going by my mother's interpretation...I knew the measurements couldn't have been right when she said it would be enough liquid for 6 to 7 quarts and I only had 3 qtrs and 3 pints!
Ugh
Now what do I do with these jars of pickles?

Well DH tried a jar of the pickles I made and his face! And what's awful is they are sweet pickles not dill or anything.
So then after couple forced bites and awful faces he says I can't eat it honey.
Then he got some tea and we went to run errands. He looks over at me and says honey no offense but those were the worst pickles I've ever ate.
I gotta find Granny's recipe rather than going by my mother's interpretation...I knew the measurements couldn't have been right when she said it would be enough liquid for 6 to 7 quarts and I only had 3 qtrs and 3 pints!
Ugh
Now what do I do with these jars of pickles?
He gave it the old college try! 🤣

My mom used to make a sweet garlic pickle that started with kosher dill pickles. It's probably cheating. My point though, is they can be re-pickled. Don't see why you couldn't try that. 🤷‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom