What do you feed your dog?

If your feeding a cheaper food, reconsider the quality and the amount you are spending in the long run:

All the health concerns completely aside, have you ever considered how much money you are really spending on a product that appears to be fairly inexpensive at first sight? How much money do you spend on dog food every year? Do you compare just by looking at the price tag on the bag?

Below is a calculation that compares one grocery store brand, one popular brand sold at pet stores and one high quality brand. The comparison is based on the requirements of a hypothetical, adult, moderately active dog of 50 pounds. I am aware that each animal is different and for individual feeding amounts other factors have to be taken into consideration, but for the sake of a comparison in regards to ingredient quality and price, let's just keep it simple and stick with the manufacturer's recommendation.

Food Type Grocery Store Brand Popular Pet Store Brand High Quality Brand
Guaranteed Analysis 25 / 10 / 4 / 14 21.5 / 13 / 3 / 10 24 / 14.5 / 4 / 10
Kcal content per lb 1674 1683 1864
Kcal content per cup 360 365 466
Largest bag unit 35.2 lbs 40 lbs 40 lbs
Cups per bag 163.7 184.4 160
Cups per lb 4.65 4.61 4
Cost per bag $25 $32 $35
Cost per lb $0.71 $0.80 $0.87
Cost per cup $0.153 $0.173 $0.219

Recommended
daily amount 3.25 cups 3.63 cups 2 cups
Daily feeding cost $0.497 $0.628 $0.438
Days bag will last 50 50 80
Bags needed / year 7.3 7.3 4.6
Monthly feeding cost $15.21 $19.47 $13.42
Yearly feeding cost $182.50 $233.60 $161.00

The examples were calculated using actual, existing brands but I have left out the names since they are not required to make a point. The initial cost for each brand was based on the biggest bag size and price average calculated from several sources (online as well as local stores), and the manufacturer recommended feeding amount. The amount of cups per bag and pound were calculated from the manufacturer's statement on caloric content per cup and per pound or kilogram of food (e.g. if you know a kibble contains 1,683 kcal per pound and 365 kcal per cup, you can easily deduct that a 40 pound bag of kibble contains 40 x 1,683 kcal = 67,320 kcal. If you divide that by the amount of kcal per cup, you get the amount of cups in a bag: 67,320 kcal/365 = 184.4).

As you see, the price tag on the bag should not be the deciding factor. A quality brand convinces not only with superior ingredients but also economically.

(courtesy http://www.easttexashogdoggers.com/forum/index.php?topic=904.0)

Hi Temptress,

Sorry you're border collie got into trouble with the guinea hens but any dog that gorges can get himself into strife, just ask any vet. Sure, dogs can get into trouble eating raw bones, but also with tennis balls, toys, socks, rawhide chewies etc etc etc. I figure for the benefits my two get out of eating raw I'm prepared to accept the risks. JMHO.

Barb

Quote:
You will notice a HUGE difference in your dogs if you do switch...but raw is also going to be more expensive than ol'roy...I am a huge supporter of Raw, if done correctly.

Quote:
Well people can survive off ramen noodles but that doesn't make it healthy
tongue.png

My dogs are members of my family and they deserve to eat well.
tongue.png

Here, Here! I couldn't agree/2nd that more! As stated above w/my show girl...she was eating better than my family some days
hmm.png
But, I've nicked that in the butt
smile.png

Thanks for posting that Texasgirl....bI would be interested in knowing the brands if you have those available and want to pm me w/them, just b/c I've done TONS of research into foods w/giant breeds and all.

My dogs are dogs and, though I love them, they remain.....dogs. I don't feed them better than I feed my family because....well, my family are humans and I gave birth to them and I just love them more than my dogs! Even then, sometimes I have to feed even my family Ramen Noodles. Just because we can't afford to feed our dogs premium dog food doesn't mean we love them less. It means we are practical about our budget. I am a single mother with no child support. I feed all the things I love the best food I can afford. End of story!

Our adult dogs eat Nutro Natural Choice Large Breed, usually the Chicken & Rice variety as it is higher in protein than the Lamb & Rice. The puppies have Royal Canin Maxi Puppy, which has 32% protein. They all get Nupro Joint Support too, which makes a great gravy that they go nuts for. We always soak their food to prevent bloat, and the gravy helps moisten it and also adds glucosamine, chondroitin, beef liver, bee pollen, kelp... all kinds of good stuff for their body and coat. They get any cracked eggs too, and meat scraps. One of my adult dogs used to be horribly picky but she went crazy for Royal Canin, and loved Pro Plan Selects too. For some reason since she got bitten by a rattlesnake she got over the pickiness.

We feed Nutro because they have a breeder program so we get every seventh bag free. It's also a good compromise of quality and economy for us. We go through a lot of dog food with dogs that are 75lbs, 55lbs, and 50lbs, and a 75lb puppy!

nutro-max...i would never feed them anything else...my chickens love it too, and all the oils and no byproducts or corn makes their coats beautiful (including the chickens feathers) and the no by products/no corn mean that their bodies absorb more protein and less fillers means a lot less pooping...it also doesnt stink as much as feeding them purina or some other walmart food

Back
Top Bottom