What is your favorite breed?

What is or are your favorite breeds?

• Total voters
I just LOVE Speckled Sussex! I COMPLETELY Recommend them to anyone not sure of what breed to get- not only are they good layers, friendly, and have a calm and sweet tempermant but they have so much personality and are just all around the FRIENDLIEST chicken breed I have ever kept! I have a chicken named Joy, my last original chicken of the flock who is a Speckled Sussex that absolutely adores people! She talks to you with clear sass, and she looks at you like your crazy when you mimic her sounds. She also is just a stubborn little thing that lets nothing stop her! When her SS sister, Poppy has sour crop, we used two horse stalls as chicken coops. One for the healthy chickens and the other one on the other side for the sick chicken Poppy. Joy made it her daily goal to go over to Poppy’s side, by climbing over the rafters and flying over the wall that separated the horse stalls, at least once a day, and once she brought over a frog! Poppy passed away later that year but It was so sweet to watch Joy try and cheer her up! Joy also survived an EXTREMELY serious case of EYP late this summer, and when we gave her the medication it took three people to do so 😂 she was so strong and the vet just loved her. She refused to let the EYP take her down so she fought it and certainly enjoyed the pampering she received. After recovery she continues to be that sweet little girl, who doesn’t mine being picked up and will always come up to new people like a little cat! She enjoys chasing frogs, lizards, and even scaring the barn cat! I just could go on and on about how wonderful this breed is, and I hope someone hears Joy’s story and considers trying the SS to!
A674310D-AF5B-4BB2-B8CC-8386E8367A3B.jpeg

I have 2 SLWyandotte Hens. I do love them. My one poor girl is molting so hard right now. Wyandotte's are gorgeous in every coloration. What color do you have? I don't think that mine are my overall favorites, but I do LOVE them so much!
At this time I have several columbians, one white and I once owned a Columbian Silver laced cross. My favorite is the silver laced! I agree, wyandottes are amazing.

COCHINS ARE HANDS DOWN THE BEST CHICKENS EVER TO HAVE WALKED THE EARTH! Cochins are amazing, feisty, little balls of fluff. They come in two sizes and two sizes only: extra large and extra small!
(I accidentally tapped Delawares but I've never had one soooooooo... don't count that one? Idk😅)

Here is my "extra small" Cochin Alice (who sadly passed away early this year)
received_625802298049647.jpeg

And my extra large Cochin, little Dorrit (lol) who is still a baby. I think that she might be an extra small but we bought her as an extra large so we'll see!
20200925_174822(0).jpg

(Picture is a few weeks old, she's fully feathered now but not much bigger lol)

Back
Top Bottom