What special care does a frizzle require?

Rachnicko

Songster
May 10, 2020
UK
We hatched a silver laced polish frizzle from eggs bought on eBay... they could have been a number of different colours/types of polish but ours (1 of 6 that hatched) happens to be a frizzle and we love ‘her’ (hopefully a pullet).

I’ve searched this site to see if they need any kind of special care, and I think I’ve read that they don’t tolerate cold well as they can’t keep air trapped beneath their feathers to insulate themselves.
I’m based in the UK, so our weather is changeable (to say the least). I have a small-ish flock of 7 at the moment who spend the days free ranging our large garden, and sleep together in a coop (uninsulated adapted kids play house).

I’m wondering if she needs any kind of special care?

Photos just because....
084320E1-E2AD-42A2-A6F7-A4BCCBF27E33.jpeg
F279876A-F3E7-4A99-83C1-330737931098.jpeg
5BA00813-B653-4F0A-BEA8-F2B748959EAC.jpeg
D35DB43D-FDA7-4A05-BA3C-0F53127AFE3B.jpeg

The two frizzles I had a few years ago were delicate and didn’t make it, although they had sweet personalities.

Going by lessons learned....

I would recommend doing anything you can to avoid a muddy run, such as installing some tin roofing over part of the run so the frizzle (and other chickens) have a chance to stay dry.

The cold thing might have some teuth, but as long ad it isn't a frazzle, there isnt much different to care for them

Ah thank you. I assume we’d know by now if it was a frazzle by brittle feathers? If I understand the frizzle/frazzle correctly, a frazzle is a double dose of frizzle?
The feathers seem fine in themselves just curly.

The two frizzles I had a few years ago were delicate and didn’t make it, although they had sweet personalities.

Going by lessons learned....

I would recommend doing anything you can to avoid a muddy run, such as installing some tin roofing over part of the run so the frizzle (and other chickens) have a chance to stay dry.

Thanks for the advice, and sorry to hear about your frizzles.
Well they’re not really in a run, just in the open garden. The majority is grass and patio up near the house, but all three sides are surrounded by hedges that the other chickens tend to hide under when it’s raining. I’m actually just in the process of making some shelters to dot around too... so hopefully they will use them! 🤞🏼 They haven’t had to shelter much yet as we’ve had fairly nice weather while they’ve been free ranging... so time will tell!

Ah thank you. I assume we’d know by now if it was a frazzle by brittle feathers? If I understand the frizzle/frazzle correctly, a frazzle is a double dose of frizzle?
The feathers seem fine in themselves just curly.

Thanks for the advice, and sorry to hear about your frizzles.
Well they’re not really in a run, just in the open garden. The majority is grass and patio up near the house, but all three sides are surrounded by hedges that the other chickens tend to hide under when it’s raining. I’m actually just in the process of making some shelters to dot around too... so hopefully they will use them! 🤞🏼 They haven’t had to shelter much yet as we’ve had fairly nice weather while they’ve been free ranging... so time will tell!

Yep, you're right about the frazzle

Back
Top Bottom