Pics
With store
I sure will. I've got potatoes going from store bought we like and I managed to get some celery going from the leftover bottom. I'm thinking about trying to replant some green onions I have as I've read you do the same with those.
With potatoes, any thoughts on planting potatoes in the same beds back to back in one year? I'm thinking of planting Yukon Golds as an early potato in March/April and then planting Russets in July when harvesting the Yukon Golds. I wouldn't mind fertilizing if needed, and my potatoes get hilled with a compost dirt mixture so there's nutrients being added as they grow. I'm wondering if I'm running a big risk with disease though on the second crop.

With store

With potatoes, any thoughts on planting potatoes in the same beds back to back in one year? I'm thinking of planting Yukon Golds as an early potato in March/April and then planting Russets in July when harvesting the Yukon Golds. I wouldn't mind fertilizing if needed, and my potatoes get hilled with a compost dirt mixture so there's nutrients being added as they grow. I'm wondering if I'm running a big risk with disease though on the second crop.
I really have no idea, this is my first year growing them and I'm using grow bags. I know they are very heavy feeders and from what I've read you should skip a year or two and not grow in the same place.
I do know that @penny1960 grows taters though so maybe she'll chime in with some advice.

I really have no idea, this is my first year growing them and I'm using grow bags. I know they are very heavy feeders and from what I've read you should skip a year or two and not grow in the same place.
I do know that @penny1960 grows taters though so maybe she'll chime in with some advice.
Grow bags sounds interesting. I heard that grow bags (the fabric type) can cause roots to die off near the edge of the bag because they become over-oxygenated. With potatoes I want a wide and deep root system so I was avoiding grow bags. This my not be true, or perhaps potatoes don't mind the higher oxygen levels in the soil. I honestly don't know.

I do use felt grow bags in our pond for underwater plants because they hold the dirt/substrate while allowing water through.

Grow bags sounds interesting. I heard that grow bags (the fabric type) can cause roots to die off near the edge of the bag because they become over-oxygenated. With potatoes I want a wide and deep root system so I was avoiding grow bags. This my not be true, or perhaps potatoes don't mind the higher oxygen levels in the soil. I honestly don't know.

I do use felt grow bags in our pond for underwater plants because they hold the dirt/substrate while allowing water through.
These are plastic coated on the outside with a flap to open on one side to harvest. My taters are growing very well so far in them. I have the fabric type for other stuff and was thinking of getting some 3 gallon bags for the larger herbs I'm trying to start now.

A note regarding organic produce - before attempting to use and then plant the pparts that could regrow, ensurre they are capable of growing. Some companies irradiate the crop or treat it post harvest in other ways before sellling in order to prevent the buyer from growing their own. Sad. But I've learned the hard way with this and it's a waste of time and space if you plant dead things and try to grow them.

Look for a bit of green growth or a new root before putting forth more effort!
:old

How do you know unless you try? I left my potatoes in the pantry until they grew eyes, started my celery in water on a window sill and I'm trying some ginger too.

How do you know unless you try? I left my potatoes in the pantry until they grew eyes, started my celery in water on a window sill and I'm trying some ginger too.
I have some beautiful potatoes (Russets I think) at home that we got at the store a week ago. I am going to move to the hanging basket in our pantry and set what happens. I may rinse them first just tho set if it helps. I figure it won't hurt.

Last edited:
I have done beautiful potatoes (Russets I think) at home that we got at the store a week ago. I am going to move to the hanging basket in our pantry and set what happens. I may rinse them first just tho set if it helps. I figure it won't hurt.
That's what I put these in, baskets under the bottom shelf in the pantry. These are the Dutch yellow, I used the baby ones and just stuck them in the dirt whole and waited to see what happened.

A note regarding organic produce - before attempting to use and then plant the pparts that could regrow, ensurre they are capable of growing. Some companies irradiate the crop or treat it post harvest in other ways before sellling in order to prevent the buyer from growing their own. Sad. But I've learned the hard way with this and it's a waste of time and space if you plant dead things and try to grow them.

Look for a bit of green growth or a new root before putting forth more effort!
:old
Not organic if they've irradiated or treated it post harvest. Sad but true there are a lot of dishonest companies that would make false claims about organic, or healthy, or anything really

Back
Top Bottom