Pics
I've been doing a bit of reading about bamboo. It's supposed to be good for the birds and clumping varieties may be non invasive. I'm thinking about growing some along the North wall of the backyard.

I've been doing a bit of reading about bamboo. It's supposed to be good for the birds and clumping varieties may be non invasive. I'm thinking about growing some along the North wall of the backyard.
I was reading the featured forum on bamboo the other day. It certainly is interesting. The shoots seem to be the ideal part to feed them. The leaves are much appreciated by the birds and the poles are useful around the garden and chicken run for all sorts of things. You could even make bio-char out of bamboo poles.

I was reading the featured forum on bamboo the other day. It certainly is interesting. The shoots seem to be the ideal part to feed them. The leaves are much appreciated by the birds and the poles are useful around the garden and chicken run for all sorts of things. You could even make bio-char out of bamboo poles.
Wow! You two make me want to try this

I thought about using a cover crop. Our garden is not gigantic but is large enough to plant cover over in the Fall. The trouble I have with the idea of a cover crop though is I have raked the entire garden into hilled up rows. How am I supposed to mow down the cover crop then? I'd have to decide to flatten the garden landscape or knock the rows down before cover cropping and rake them back into shape in the Spring for planting. I do enjoy laboring in the garden but that's a LOT of labor.
Any thing that the chicks and chickens wont have any interest in. you dont want you flock to be eating your plants now would you?

Any thing that the chicks and chickens wont have any interest in. you dont want you flock to be eating your plants now would you?
Well, actually I do want them to eat the plants, but only when I allow. My garden is fenced in well, and will be even better this year with rebuilding the garden fence as part of the garden expansion. I want to be able to supplement the poultry feed with garden goods. I off course want to take the primary share of the fruits of my labor, but want to be able to give the birds some too.

Back
Top Bottom