Which Breed

chickenman1997

In the Brooder
8 Years
Nov 21, 2011
Hey

I am hoping to start getting chickens next year and I don't know what breed to get. I can't decide between Delaware or White Leghorn. Which ones do you think I should get?

Thanks
Chickenman1997

Hi chickenman1997,

it all depends on what you value most, eggs, dual purpose, prettiness or some combination of the three.

I like leghorns for economy and laying ability, and I find them handsome as well. It seems to me the show-bred leghorns are a lot more rugged and useful than many other show-bred birds, so they make a pretty good utility bird.

I don't know the Delaware so somebody can probably speak up on behalf of that breed... They certainly look pretty, if that's your preference.
smile.png

Welcome to BYC (but I haven't been here long so others will say that better than I can).
smile.png

cheers
Erica

Ok so I did not give you guys the run down of each chicken.

Delaware is on the threatened list. It is a dual purpose. On average the chicken weights 8.5 pounds. They cost 2.41 each. I am hoping to get ten chickens.

The White Leghorns are also on the threatened list. They are a egg bird. On average the chicken weights 6-7 pounds. They cost 2.18 each.

Now what do you guys think?

It also depends on where you are. Leghorns have enormous combs, not very suitable for very cold climates. What kind of temperament are you looking for? Leghorns are described to be skittish and vocal. I don't have them because of that.

Last edited:
My leghorns lay everyday and they are small. I am probably going to breed leghorns one day because of how many eggs I get from them. Mine are friendly, but they usually are the first ones to fly over the fence when they want to go.

I like Delawares because they seem to be a good overall chicken and if you breed them with certain other breeds, you will get sex linked chicks. I do not have Delawares, but will probably have some in the future.

The leghorn chickens are small not the eggs. Double yolks aren't too uncommon and I think they occassionally lay 2 eggs a day, but some say it might be just the timing of my egg gathering or possibly egg fairies
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom