Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Ducks aren't laying–commercial feed

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Chickens aren't laying–homemade/locally sourced ration

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ducks aren't laying–homemade/locally sourced ration

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Erratic but otherwise unusually warm. High of 55F today, 60’s last week, and highs in the 40’s for the rest of the week. Lows in the 30-20’s. It’s been pretty sunny, so I don’t think cloud cover (AKA reduced light) is to blame here.

It is the TSC feed that the uproar is about, but my chickens mostly free range, so I find it hard to believe that it would be the feed alone effecting egg-laying. Besides, there is no way to easily prove it is the feed (in my opinion).
Yeah, sounds like yours is just being stingy or slow😂
If enough people are feeding the same thing and not getting eggs then I think it would be easy. But I honestly don't think it would be just one single brand, since they all source from farms all over the place.

All my birds are laying.
It's still winter and it's been unusually overcast, your birds are either still on winter break
Seems odd that they would start their winter break so early in the year though.
or entering henopause.
I only have one senior hen. Houdini is my second oldest chicken, and she isn't even two.
The saxony are two years old, but they shouldn't slow down too much until three, and my welshies have never layed yet.

11 chickens here in NJ in the winter. Although we've had mild weather, it is still winter. There still is not enough day light needed for laying. I do not light or heat my coops. I feed my ladies Kalmbach feed which is a family owned company. I have 2 7month old CCLB pullets who are laying almost every day. Chickens of this age are known to lay through their first winter. My 2 year Olds went through their first big molt in October. I have not seen an egg from them since but it's to be expected. My 3 year Olds randomly lay. A Black Marans and a SLW. My EE laid Nov and Dec but stopped in January. I accept my ladies as they are. When they bless me with eggs I am grateful.
I have added supplemental lighting, and Houdini my only layer is sleeping without the light in the duck barn.
I am honestly just worried. I have gotten more eggs in colder weather, with no light, less feed, and older birds. This is just so weird to me.

The brand is lonestar.
The chickens free feed, but they aren't overweight. The ducks eat two scoops a day between a lot of them and they look well conditioned.
IMG_20230131_172757423.jpg

Back
Top Bottom