• Ducks aren't laying–homemade/locally sourced ration

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Everose

ɪ ᴀᴍ ᴄʀᴇᴀᴛɪᴏɴ, ʙᴏᴛʜ ʜᴀᴜɴᴛᴇᴅ ᴀɴᴅ ʜᴏʟʏ.
Premium Feather Member
Jan 16, 2021
The Great Country of Texas
My chickens and ducks quit laying eggs early summer of 2022, but they were under stress, molting, and on a cheap feed. So I didn't think anything of it.
For months now they've all been in new spacious pens, on a layer diet, they're all young and they are all in good health. I've had no predator problems, no illnesses, and no lack of food available to them. But I haven't seen a duck egg since summer, and the last of my chicken eggs came from the silkies, who quit laying last fall. I have bantam chickens, standard chickens, laying chickens, welsh harlequin ducks, and saxony ducks. My birds all range from one four year old hen, to a dozen or so eight month old hens. They should all be laying, they're all on a 20% protein ration, but only one is laying.

IMG_20220317_172006395.jpg

Miss Houdini. She escapes the pen no matter how hard I try to chicken proof it. She sleeps with the ducks and eats with the cats. I'm thinking the only reason she's laying is because she eats the cat food.
I've been hearing from many a chicken keeper in my area that their chickens quit laying last year. We expect them to quit laying for some of the harder months, and when they're molting, but this is just ridiculous. Doug and Stacy from youtube realeased a video talking about this very subject (don't ask me to link it, some snowflake will surely keel over and die because Doug has his own political opinion on this subject😊), which has me wondering if maybe someone else here is getting suspicious about the lack of eggs?

If you have any ideas about why I'm not getting eggs I'm all ears! If not, just lemme know what you're feeding your laying chickens and ducks. If you're in the same boat, let's compare feed, because at this point I have no idea why mine aren't laying.

I'm not but I raise gamefowl. Mine quit from end of summer molt till about mid February
It almost feels like mine are reverting back to their junglefowl ways😂

Mine are all egg or meat production breeds. Except for the silkies, those are just for egg hatching.

11 chickens here in NJ in the winter. Although we've had mild weather, it is still winter. There still is not enough day light needed for laying. I do not light or heat my coops. I feed my ladies Kalmbach feed which is a family owned company. I have 2 7month old CCLB pullets who are laying almost every day. Chickens of this age are known to lay through their first winter. My 2 year Olds went through their first big molt in October. I have not seen an egg from them since but it's to be expected. My 3 year Olds randomly lay. A Black Marans and a SLW. My EE laid Nov and Dec but stopped in January. I accept my ladies as they are. When they bless me with eggs I am grateful.

I got a few eggs from one hen in early January, then nothing. However, she is old and notoriously erratic. However, I can’t find a reason why my younger RIR is not laying yet unless she is hiding them somewhere. Most likely, it is still too early in the season for us.

I use the usual TSC purina layer feed.

I got a few eggs from one hen in early January, then nothing. However, she is old and notoriously erratic. However, I can’t find a reason why my younger RIR is not laying yet unless she is hiding them somewhere. Most likely, it is still too early in the season for us.

I use the usual TSC purina layer feed.
I think the TSC feed was the feed that Doug was warning about.
What's the temp like in your area?

You say they are on layer feed, but don't mention what kind.

My birds are laying. But not all. It is still winter. Unfortunately they do not have an alarm clock that goes "Oh hey! It's almost February, time to start laying again!"

You say they are on layer feed, but don't mention what kind.

My birds are laying. But not all. It is still winter. Unfortunately they do not have an alarm clock that goes "Oh hey! It's almost February, time to start laying again!"
Hold I'll get a picture. It's not from the usual places like TSC or Atwood's, I've tried those feeds with no luck.

I think the TSC feed was the feed that Doug was warning about.
What's the temp like in your area?
Erratic but otherwise unusually warm. High of 55F today, 60’s last week, and highs in the 40’s for the rest of the week. Lows in the 30-20’s. It’s been pretty sunny, so I don’t think cloud cover (AKA reduced light) is to blame here.

It is the TSC feed that the uproar is about, but my chickens mostly free range, so I find it hard to believe that it would be the feed alone effecting egg-laying. Besides, there is no way to easily prove it is the feed (in my opinion).

Back
Top Bottom