Wildlife Photography

Pics
Canon makes good stuff. It's just very expensive comparatively. I would argue Nikon has slightly better optics but it's really preference. However, Nikon is less expensive. Having said that, the majortiy of "pros" shoot Canon. Your mileage may vary, and there's really no wrong answer here. Except maybe Polaroid. THat may be a wrong answer.
Mhmm. I see.

One of these years I'll get that R7 and I have a distinct feeling it's gonna be incredible with the Sigma.

Interesting. I've heard a lot of people say that Canon isn't very good compared to Sony or Nikon. Something that I've noticed though is that when I'm scanning through top photos on the Macaulay Library (a wildlife database where you can upload photos of your sightings, primarily birds) all the ones that catch my eye immediately always seem to be the ones shot with fair to high-quality Canon setups. Maybe it's just something about the quality of the sharpness that's different. I don't know and it's really hard to explain, but for some reason I just like them better.

DISCLAIMER-- this test was as unbiased as possible. I looked at the photos and selected the ones that just had the best "feel" to them for me and then looked at the photography setups that took them.
I was just referring to getting the most for your money. Canon's quality is excellent but a lot of their gear is priced higher than other manufacturers that offer similar quality so you end up paying some for the name. They also tend to be several years behind with features that other manufacturers already offer, especially regarding video.

I would be curious to know how many of the images that stood out to you were shot with the big 500 F4 and 600 F4 prime lenses. The compression and out of focus backgrounds they give have a look of their own and I have got to where I can look at images and tell if they were shot with them the majority of the time. Of course under very specific scenarios you can achieve the same results with smaller, slower lenses too...

That R7 is going to be one amazing camera. It's not cheap by any means but the features it offers are unheard of for that price. The eye AF system is one of the best advantages of going mirrorless. I almost always shot with a single AF point and I would either move it around in the viewfinder or leave it in the middle and crop later to compose. Now no matter where the subject is in the frame the AF will track his eye and I can easily compose, even while the subject is moving. It shoots faster than the $6K R3 and inherited the same AF system.... for a quarter of the price. Pretty awesome....

Last edited:
I was just referring to getting the most for your money. Canon's quality is excellent but a lot of their gear is priced higher than other manufacturers that offer similar quality so you end up paying some for the name. They also tend to be several years behind with features that other manufacturers already offer, especially regarding video.
Yeah, I totally get that. BUT I feel like switching to like Sony or something would probably be more trouble than it's worth. I figure I'll stay on the track I started on, even if upgrades become few and far between, I know when they do come they'll be significant boosts to the quality of my photography. And I'm happy with that.

hat R7 is going to be one amazing camera. It's not cheap by any means but the features it offers are unheard of for that price. The eye AF system is one of the best advantages of going mirrorless. I almost always shot with a single AF point and I would either move it around in the viewfinder or leave it in the middle and crop later to compose. Now no matter where the subject is in the frame the AF will track his eye and I can easily compose, even while the subject is moving. It shoots faster than the $6K R3 and inherited the same AF system.... for a quarter of the price. Pretty awesome....
Definitely. I'm super excited. I've shot with my friend's R5 and it was INCREDIBLE. Absolutely mind-blowing.
Hopefully between getting a well-paying job this fall and selling chickens and stuff on the side I should be able so save up some money in a few (or more) years. Can't wait!!

A few from this morning.....

250A8836.jpg

250A8858.jpg

250A9391.jpg

250A9575.jpg

250A9515.jpg

250A9549.jpg

I've been getting back into macro photography lately. Today I played around with my new Raynox super macro conversion lens and compared it to the Olympus TG-5 I just got and I think I'll be sending the Olympus back! The Olympus has a known major flaw that I don't think I can deal with.

Here is a focus-stacked photo of aphids on a chamomile stalk I took with the new lens on my trusty old Canon SX50.
large.jpg

@mdees88 Sorry if this has been asked before, but what camera/lens do you use? Your photos are awesome!
Thanks

I started out with a Rebel T7i and an EF 55-250 IS STM lens (great lens for $100). I quickly upgraded to a Canon 80D which is basically the same camera but has a better button layout and some weather sealing. I have used that for a while then upgraded the lens to a Canon 100-400 IS II and I have been using this setup for the last 5 years or so.

I bought a used but still very expensive Canon R5 a month ago and just picked up an RF 100-500 lens. The poorly designed tripod collar failed on me the other day and released my camera and lens from my monopod which destroyed the camera and damaged the lens. So if you're ever having a bad day just think about me.... lol.....

20220621_055234.jpg

I sold my 80D yesterday and my new setup from here on out will be a Canon R7 and the 100-400 IS II until I hear back about getting the other two fixed....

Back
Top Bottom