Winter run / coop heating

same stuff i was looking at. transparent greenhouse plastic. would you say 250 guage plastic enough or you think i need thicker? want them to be as comfortable as possible. i know they are cold tolerant. but hate wind. Thanks for the reply! :)
Not sure if we can post links here, but I'll attach a pic of what I've used :)

Everyone uses plastic but I have a stack of thick Purple Insulation Foam Board. Because it is weather proof, I can temporarily use it outdoors in the run for wind block as well as inside the coop. I really prefer it to plastic. It's light and easy to work with and obviously unreal effectiveness for cooling, heating, weather proofing. Just an idea for you.......
Ooh interesting. Is that the stuff they use to insulate wooden houses and sheds? Between the panel? I suppose more overall it would be rainproofing we would need the most. We all know how chickens turn all the grass to mushy mud lol. So if I can keep their run area dry for winter. I do plan on having their run on a rotation so they can get fresh grass. But that becomes tricky in Scotland winter since grass doesn't grow then. So anything to prevent it from all turning to Marsh lands 😂

Ah you based in America as says 4mil? . Here we use guage for some reason which confuses me lol. I've heard mixed from people that 250 guage is perfect. And others say it rips too easily in high wind. Really not sure what one to get over here in the UK. I'll try post the ones I was looking at

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25264330...o4y2g83Q3u&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Any ideas?

Thanks again. And sorry for slow replies. Just starting a new job so life is a little chaotic at the moment lol 😊
That stuff should work great! And no problem with the slow replies, I myself am trying to harvest my garden before our first frost. Hope you like your new job! :)

So not really about heating. I have 2 hens. A welsummer and a cream legbar. We are nearing winter here in Scotland. Our winters can be quite brutal for temps. This is my first winter having my chickens outside. they have a 8x8ft Run in our back yard thats 6ft tall. Our winter temps can get down to around -5C (around 20-23F) I was looking at maybe buying large clear sheets of plastic to cover up their run area so cold winds wouldnt bother them. as it does get rather windy over here in the winter. Would it be necessary i do that? or will they be ok without that? I should say their coop is a small one. Big enough for the 2 though. But does not have a door on it. Designed without a door. I want to make sure as we are coming into winter, that they will be as comfortable as they can be. Budget is tight. although starting a new job in a couple of weeks. so i can save for improvements if anyone has suggestions.
many thanks to all
If you can afford to make at least a little section protecting them from snow, wind, rain. Maybe a little hiding place in the run until you can afford to properly wrap it how you want. The cold winds are what they hate (at least mine do). Some chicken breeds are more cold tolerant than others. Winters here can get down to 10F but much colder with the wind chills. I used a staple gun and wrapped the coop in a kind of clear tarp about 3ft up all the way around. Good luck!

Attachments

• E6623684-B975-4B57-8E7B-44737A20E993.jpeg
    E6623684-B975-4B57-8E7B-44737A20E993.jpeg
    940.8 KB · Views: 6
  • C31CCEC0-1974-4C08-8265-602C918C3DA2.jpeg
    C31CCEC0-1974-4C08-8265-602C918C3DA2.jpeg
    721.7 KB · Views: 5
Everyone uses plastic but I have a stack of thick Purple Insulation Foam Board. Because it is weather proof, I can temporarily use it outdoors in the run for wind block as well as inside the coop. I really prefer it to plastic. It's light and easy to work with and obviously unreal effectiveness for cooling, heating, weather proofing. Just an idea for you.......

I'm trying something new this year. I've covered the outside of the run with vinyl shower curtains, and will use the same sheeting as Nikki for the roof. There is ventilation on the top, and part of one side (the door to the run). In front of the coop door, I will build a plastic windbreaker, to slow any wind that might come through the run. It's really just some wood framing attached to a pole in the center of the run and a post on the side of the coop.

Run is in blue, coop in yellow, windbreak in red.

Screenshot_20221012_060509_Samsung Notes.jpg

We invested in polycarbonate roof panels for our run.
I was never successful at getting the plastic wrap to not flap and make noise in the wind not matter what I did.

Mine have done well even in occasional -40F. As long as they are dry, well ventilated, have a place to get out of the wind and access to fresh water, they should do okay. I use transparent garden plastic around the run to block wind and allow sunlight. One roll lasted me 3 winters.
Hi — Where did you buy the plastic and how did you attach it? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom