Winter run / coop heating

Attachments

• B1978CAA-EE8A-4898-8C2F-66B728F10842.png
    B1978CAA-EE8A-4898-8C2F-66B728F10842.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
Ah you based in America as says 4mil? . Here we use guage for some reason which confuses me lol. I've heard mixed from people that 250 guage is perfect. And others say it rips too easily in high wind. Really not sure what one to get over here in the UK. I'll try post the ones I was looking at

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25264330...o4y2g83Q3u&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Any ideas?

Thanks again. And sorry for slow replies. Just starting a new job so life is a little chaotic at the moment lol 😊

Chickens are notorious for eating foam board. If it's installed where they can access it they will peck it to pieces and eat the bits.
OH SO True! I neglected to mention that you do have to cover it. That's why I have sheets of Foam Board AND siding sheets leaning up against the backside of my coop where they can't get it. And then if I have a winter event where they can't leave the coop, I just lean one of each up against and over my chain link run for a makeshift warm coop extension.

Ooh interesting. Is that the stuff they use to insulate wooden houses and sheds? Between the panel? I suppose more overall it would be rainproofing we would need the most. We all know how chickens turn all the grass to mushy mud lol. So if I can keep their run area dry for winter. I do plan on having their run on a rotation so they can get fresh grass. But that becomes tricky in Scotland winter since grass doesn't grow then. So anything to prevent it from all turning to Marsh lands 😂
Yes, it's this stuff, weatherproof so wherever chickens can't get to it and especially to just to store a pile, I can just lean it up against a building.
foam.JPG

But to KillerBs point, chicken do like to peck it. So I also have a few sheets of this dura temp siding. Basically I'm turning my run into a coop when needed by just leaning this up against it as walls.
duratemp.JPG

I will admit this fix is more costly than plastic. I'm just all about "easy," after having chickens this long (and strangely getting older not younger.)

Hi — Where did you buy the plastic and how did you attach it? Thanks.
Hello! I bought it off Amazon.

To attach, I used thin pieces of wood, kind of like yard sticks for measuring. I drilled holes in the sticks and then wrapped the plastic around the stick about 3 times. Then punched holes into the plastic and through the holes in the wood. Then zip tied the plastic to the wood. Did the same on the other end of the plastic and then zip tied the wood/plastic to the run. Do in manageable panels until the whole area you want covered is covered. Even in high wind the plastic doesn't flap too much.

(My coop/run is kind of odd; I built a coop within an old metal corn crib that was built atop an even older stone silo. So it is about 3 feet above ground and stone and metal. Nothing can dig in...But the metal panels that held the corn in are wide enough for a raccoon to reach in, so I zip tied hardware cloth 6' up. That's where the plastic panels come in, my run is round and high up so nothing worked until I made the custom panels.)

Sorry for the long post; I was just cleaning the coop today so it's in my mind! All I have left to do is fix the roof so another great horned owl doesn't get in. (He was majestic and didn't kill a single chicken!)

So not really about heating. I have 2 hens. A welsummer and a cream legbar. We are nearing winter here in Scotland. Our winters can be quite brutal for temps. This is my first winter having my chickens outside. they have a 8x8ft Run in our back yard thats 6ft tall. Our winter temps can get down to around -5C (around 20-23F) I was looking at maybe buying large clear sheets of plastic to cover up their run area so cold winds wouldnt bother them. as it does get rather windy over here in the winter. Would it be necessary i do that? or will they be ok without that? I should say their coop is a small one. Big enough for the 2 though. But does not have a door on it. Designed without a door. I want to make sure as we are coming into winter, that they will be as comfortable as they can be. Budget is tight. although starting a new job in a couple of weeks. so i can save for improvements if anyone has suggestions.
many thanks to all
The best advice I can give is block any wind and rain/snow from making them wet.

My gang will generally not go outside once the big snows arrive here (central Ontario Canada), they hate the snow unless I put old horse manure out on top of it. I am extremely fortunate that I have a huge barn they can stay in and run around in all winter.

The big thing is the cold, it can get to -30c many days here and that’s tough on them, if you see them huddled together and not being active then you know the cold is affecting them, I have a Cozy Coop radiant heat panel that they like to sit next to when it’s really cold.

Down around to -10c they are running about digging through the horse stalls, and generally making a mess with the hay 😊 but below that they start to be less active and want to huddle someplace warm. Even in my barn it will get to -20c inside if it -30c outside.

I have a hen house they all sleep in at night which is located inside the barn. It is a fully insulated room, has paver brick floor covered in shavings, at night it will stay just around the freezing point or a bit above on all but the most coldest nights, those nights I put the Cozy Coop heater in there to help keep it warm.

The next most important thing is water and feed, get a good electric heated waterer, it will be your best purchase ever! And make sure they have good free choice feed. I make a hot mash every morning for mine, it’s like a porridge and they love it!

If you don’t get a lot of snow you’re very fortunate, if you do try to put straw or shavings down for them to walk on, it will help keep their feet dry and they can dig through it and do chicken things 😊 in the winter on nice days when I can do so, I let my gang out to forage on the manure pile (mount poopmore). It’s warm from the compost action, and many times there are bugs hidden in the composting material that they can dig and eat - yummmy 😊 .

So block wind, keep dry, and free choose water and feed. Simple as that!

Back
Top Bottom