Wry neck from INJURY/fighting

m1chelle1

Crowing
7 Years
6 Years
Jan 12, 2017
East Central Florida
Hello BYC fam,

So ive got what I feel is a strange case of wry neck (at least, for me it is) I know its from injury, my chickens have been fighting quite a bit. They are all 5 weeks old and seem to have...and interesting flock dynamic. Needless to say my favorite pullet Harriett, has injury related wry neck. I know treatment for wry neck is usually separation from flock and treating with vitamins since most people assume it might be vitamin deficiency. Well, this isnt the case and Id like to try to save her.
Id honestly sit it out and cull if she wasnt my fav pullet but it is so id like to see what options i have here.
Anyone dealt with wry neck from an injury and fighting before???

Thank you kindly
M:bun

Hello BYC fam,

So ive got what I feel is a strange case of wry neck (at least, for me it is) I know its from injury, my chickens have been fighting quite a bit. They are all 5 weeks old and seem to have...and interesting flock dynamic. Needless to say my favorite pullet Harriett, has injury related wry neck. I know treatment for wry neck is usually separation from flock and treating with vitamins since most people assume it might be vitamin deficiency. Well, this isnt the case and Id like to try to save her.
Id honestly sit it out and cull if she wasnt my fav pullet but it is so id like to see what options i have here.

Thank you kindly

Weirdly, the vitamin therapy is suggested regardless of cause and seems to at least help regardless of underlying cause! I think it has something to do with those specific vitamins controlling several neurological functions and can improve function even when injury is the source.

400 IU Vit.E
Vitamin B complex, quarter tablet crushed and added to water
Eggs or tuna for selenium to help process the vitamin E.

I'm sorry about your baby. Is it one chicken being the aggressor or is this chick bullied by everyone? :hugs

If nothing else the vitamins will help support her during her recovery time. Chances are she won't be eating and drinking as frequently with her condition.

You could try hand feeding and watering her and watch to see if it resolves on its own as she heals, too. Some people make a neck brace using foam or bubble wrap but that seems to depend on how well the chicken tolerates it as far as success (if she's constantly trying to shake it off this will probably hinder recovery.)

Good luck! :)

Weirdly, the vitamin therapy is suggested regardless of cause and seems to at least help regardless of underlying cause! I think it has something to do with those specific vitamins controlling several neurological functions and can improve function even when injury is the source.

400 IU Vit.E
Vitamin B complex, quarter tablet crushed and added to water
Eggs or tuna for selenium to help process the vitamin E.

I'm sorry about your baby. Is it one chicken being the aggressor or is this chick bullied by everyone? :hugs
the whole flock fights eachother. its a mixed flock, of fairly non agressive breeds. its strange. shes a salmon favorelle and the rest are crested cream legbars......
thank you for the advice, ill keep up with the vitamins for her.

If nothing else the vitamins will help support her during her recovery time. Chances are she won't be eating and drinking as frequently with her condition.

You could try hand feeding and watering her and watch to see if it resolves on its own as she heals, too. Some people make a neck brace using foam or bubble wrap but that seems to depend on how well the chicken tolerates it as far as success (if she's constantly trying to shake it off this will probably hinder recovery.)

Good luck! :)
was considering a neck brace of sorts the other day. i think she would maybe tolerate it well, shes pretty calm and docile

I'm sure with all you're doing for her she'll be feeling better soon! :fl for a speedy recovery :hugs

As for the fighting; are yours still in a brooder? It seemed like overnight at about 4 weeks old mine started bickering and looking back I think it was a lack of space because as soon as we got them into their outside space it seemed to abate.

Hello BYC fam,

Thank you kindly
Yup, follow all the recommendations of BYC peeps. I went thru this last fall. It was a survivor from a weasel attack. Takes time and patience. But it is doable.

Back
Top Bottom