Your experience with Seabright/Silver Seabright hens?

HeidiEmbrey

Songster
Oct 10, 2017
Florida
Hi chicken peeps :p I'm reading Seabrights are infrequent layers and prone to getting picked on when in with other birds, also flighty. Does anyone have silver Seabrights? If so would you please be kind enough to tell me about your experience with them? Thanks :)

Hi! I have one Sebright about 7 months old, and she's my very favorite chicken!!! Her name is Moonshine, and she's from a local hatchery. She began laying at 20 weeks, before any of my other breed pullets of the same age. She laid 5-6 tiny eggs a week!!!! After 6 weeks she went broody....I got her fertile eggs, there were 3, and she hatched them, but the chicks didn't survive. She may have been too young, but I don't know.. So now she's back to being part of the flock, but hasn't resumed laying. I expect when she does, she'll be an excellent layer again and I plan to get more Sebrughts from the same hatchery.
She's feisty and doesn't get pecked on. She lives w large breed hens and holds her own quite well.
egg 1.jpg

Last edited:
Also, I don't know about 'flighty' I read that same description before I got my chickens. I got leghorns as well, and they are also supposed to be flighty. They can all fly well. The Sebright can fly like a little sparrow! But she isn't skittish, neither are the leghorns. Maybe they are quicker to react than my other large breed hens, but if they have been raised to be friendly, this isn't an issue.

Also, I don't know about 'flighty' I read that same description before I got my chickens. I got leghorns as well, and they are also supposed to be flighty. They can all fly well. The Sebright can fly like a little sparrow! But she isn't skittish, neither are the leghorns. Maybe they are quicker to react than my other large breed hens, but if they have been raised to be friendly, this isn't an issue.

Aw..nice..Since they fly so well..do you have to trim their wings to keep them in a run?

We have bird netting over our run. This keeps the chickens in and the hawks/owls out.
great! I was planning the same thing but might have to have the hardware cloth and the other thicker wire because our rodents raccoons possums etc ..so thatll be ok :) Moonshine is the prettiest name btw I might have to steal that! :D

Well definitely, hardware cloth is much more secure.
I am in love with this breed, and will be getting more.
Here's a pic of Moonshine w one of the leghorns. Being in the forefront, she looks bigger than she is, she is less than half the size of her leghorn sisters. I want to start a 'tiny egg company' lol.
22222.jpg

Back
Top Bottom