‼️GILBERT IS GONE‼️

Last edited:
I already tried to tell them all of that but it was still “you knew we were taking him back because we rent this house.” I tried to explain the imprinting but it was still “we can’t get kicked out because of a goose”…I tried for a solid month to find a place to take him that wouldn’t kill him with no luck. I even called different vets around to see if maybe they would know of any person that could or sanctuary and their aren’t any animal sanctuary’s around here or even in a separate county..not for Canada geese anyways.
I even tried the Arkansas game and fish commission and all they do is rehab then put them back or they just kill them. Most of the time they just kill them. In September is when they can hunt them in this State.
People don’t care about Canada geese around here, that’s why I didn’t care if I got in trouble for having him…that was another reason they had that they said Gilbert had to go was because it’s illegal to have him. But they were the ones that brought him home in the first place.
My brother in law said that Gilbert flew across the water and landed somewhere with the other geese, that he called for him and called for him but he didn’t come, but he wouldn’t come for him..only me. All he did was walk around, wait till gilbert was in the water and he left.
I know that once Gilbert realized no one was there that he cried and cried for me, and I’m so so sick with worry about him right now because he is a mama's boy when it comes to bedtime. He doesn’t understand why he was left there, or what to do, and he still has a hoarse voice where you can barely hear his tweet.. I just want my sweet boy back.😔😭
I am so very sorry. :hugs

I was so afraid of this but was hoping for the best. And it's so sad but it's very true. At the lake I live is Deep Creek Lake in Maryland and these little guys are getting ran off from more and more which is why I think I found the gosling I have. I hate how bad the area has got with multi million dollar homes covering every inch of lake shore possible. I try to take my goose up to swim and find other geese she can bond with and it's rare to really see them and the one place i was use to going to fish and always seen geese. they now have it marked as a private area, i dont know how that even is being its right next to the highway and was always open to the public years prior but there is new homes there and they even have fake owls all over the place on all the docks it truly makes me sick. So I figured she is going to have to be the one to walk away from me when she feels like she found her flock. But I do fear if I'm pushed to it that I'll have to find a rescue for them which there is one for water fowl about a hour away from me in Morgantown West Virginia.. if Kristie would be willing to let someone know where Gilbert is I'm sure someone in this community could help.. I'm so heartbroken for her and can't blame her for being upset, she tried to explain to them about imprinting but they seemed to refuse to listen to her and when she was saying Gilbert was starting to get a little independence I have seen what she is talking about with my little girl being that she is usually right up my butt but when I go outside for her grass time she been going further and further each time but still never out of eye sight for long unless she is distracted. I don't know if it's just how protective my gosling is but she is not friendly with anyone else that comes around other then me or my boyfriend. So hopefully Gilbert is the same way with just the people he is only use to seeing. Would you know with them being Canadian geese do you think they are different from a domesticated breed of goose. Since a human raised them do they have the know how to be a wild goose? I've tried to do a lot of research looking into everything I can find on Google but I usually only get that your not to try and raise these guys and are supposed to contact the DNR but I've made that mistake before trying to rescue a baby deer that they sent someone out to shoot in the head. I will never trust another DNR again.they only care about the hunters in my area and only seem to care about the wildlife is there is a revune for them if not they are just a nuisance. It's so sad to see how many foxes and bears, and even possums are getting ran out of their homes and hit along side the road. I'm one of the many that wishes they could do something so when I see these precious creatures in need of help I always do everything I can.
If at all possible try and find someone in your area who has geese and would be willing to take your gosling to keep when your ready to give her up. We have state forums here at "where am I where are you" might check there if anyone would be willing to give her a forever home. The biggest worry is they are imprinted on humans and have been fed and cared for. Things they aren't going to get now. Not all humans care. :(

I already tried to tell them all of that but it was still “you knew we were taking him back because we rent this house.” I tried to explain the imprinting but it was still “we can’t get kicked out because of a goose”…I tried for a solid month to find a place to take him that wouldn’t kill him with no luck. I even called different vets around to see if maybe they would know of any person that could or sanctuary and their aren’t any animal sanctuary’s around here or even in a separate county..not for Canada geese anyways.
I even tried the Arkansas game and fish commission and all they do is rehab then put them back or they just kill them. Most of the time they just kill them. In September is when they can hunt them in this State.
People don’t care about Canada geese around here, that’s why I didn’t care if I got in trouble for having him…that was another reason they had that they said Gilbert had to go was because it’s illegal to have him. But they were the ones that brought him home in the first place.
My brother in law said that Gilbert flew across the water and landed somewhere with the other geese, that he called for him and called for him but he didn’t come, but he wouldn’t come for him..only me. All he did was walk around, wait till gilbert was in the water and he left.
I know that once Gilbert realized no one was there that he cried and cried for me, and I’m so so sick with worry about him right now because he is a mama's boy when it comes to bedtime. He doesn’t understand why he was left there, or what to do, and he still has a hoarse voice where you can barely hear his tweet.. I just want my sweet boy back.😔😭
I understand where they are coming from you all cant be homeless but still wish they would have listened to you more. I didn't think I could be so emotionally invested in someone else's Goose but with Meeps and Glibert being around the same age and I've read almost all of your posts to compare notes on her health or if what she was doing is normal and what not. But I still haven't got her to fly yet but she stretchs and flaps them like she is wanting to take off but just don't got the hang of it yet. Miss Lydia put up a couple links you could reach out to and try to find someone,, I'm looking into them as well just incase. I wish you would be closer to Morgantown. WV or even up in Nemocolin Pennsylvania by Uniontown. They have a amazing resort there as well and are heavily protective of the wildlife around there I think there is even another waterfowl rehabilitation there.. I'm not sure how far Arkansas is from there but I know there are some very caring people in this world that will go to extremes to help wildlife or any animals. But there are more ignorant people unfortunately.. I hope today has been easier on ya. If your able to maybe talk to your brother n law to take you to check on him if you and him have the time too..and when you can please keep us updated, this community very much cares about you and Gilbert and will all help as much as we can. I know my advice doesn't seem like very much help but I'm just trying to put out there everything I've came across looking into help for these guys..

I’m so sorry for you and Gilbert! 😔
I found out that Gilbert is actually at a lake that’s protected. It’s a lake/park and there are over 150 Canada geese there. I went today to see how he was or to see if he would even come to me and I called and called for him and walked the whole track that’s around the lake and he never came to me. I seen a few that I thought might be him but I wasn’t for sure and they wouldn’t let me get very close. Which I think that good because that means he won’t just go off with a stranger. I just wanted to let everyone know. It still hurts so much..and I probably got up last night 5 to 6 times just to look out the door window and see if he might have come back home. I always got up at 6 am to take him out to get some grass and I woke up out of habit and had To go out there..it didn’t feel right not to, so I just sat out there and cried my eyes out.
I guess it was probably for the best that I didn’t see him because it would have just made it hard to let go once again. Thank you guys for your kind words and help, I so appreciate it gratefully.❤️ I’m just still really sad and missing my guy. 💔

I’m posting photos of the place he is at. There are definitely waaay more Canada geese there today.
Do you gals have a reason as to why he didn’t come up to me at all??

Attachments

• FA342595-54A2-4CBE-82A4-8F19DC34D135.jpeg
    FA342595-54A2-4CBE-82A4-8F19DC34D135.jpeg
    575.3 KB · Views: 5
  • B8F9A3C1-7D82-4708-90C8-C701EB871277.jpeg
    B8F9A3C1-7D82-4708-90C8-C701EB871277.jpeg
    297.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 10B1BC94-C561-4A1B-9CEC-35A1189F67A5.jpeg
    10B1BC94-C561-4A1B-9CEC-35A1189F67A5.jpeg
    851.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 75089A40-3C0E-423F-83FE-81A208C1D49A.jpeg
    75089A40-3C0E-423F-83FE-81A208C1D49A.jpeg
    164.3 KB · Views: 6
  • E9A7A5AA-4962-4659-8017-CF7F3DE9B7A0.jpeg
    E9A7A5AA-4962-4659-8017-CF7F3DE9B7A0.jpeg
    310.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 06C77989-3296-4835-8C57-0907808253FA.jpeg
    06C77989-3296-4835-8C57-0907808253FA.jpeg
    103.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 9C24681A-935B-40BD-9C63-991CC19E8552.jpeg
    9C24681A-935B-40BD-9C63-991CC19E8552.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
  • 7257B672-D2FB-4C24-BF53-6CF78986C8D5.jpeg
    7257B672-D2FB-4C24-BF53-6CF78986C8D5.jpeg
    900.5 KB · Views: 5
I’m posting photos of the place he is at. There are definitely waaay more Canada geese there today.
Do you gals have a reason as to why he didn’t come up to me at all??
I have honestly been thinking about this, and he might have not been there with that group you seen. Or if he was maybe he just repeated the same reaction the other geese were having toward you, since he has bonded with them now. I've noticed when Meeps and me leave and come back home that she seems to forget my dog Klarabelle and she's grown up with her everyday. Klarabelle had taken on a motherly role when we brought her home for the first time so has never tried to hurt her but of course any dog gets excited when their owners finally get home so she tends to run and jump around which will completely terrify her and she will run away with her scared squeaks trying to get behind me it's the cutest thing but also I know it stresses her out so when I get home I have leanred to act like I'm stomping into the house to scare the big bad dog away. Then meeps has no problem walking in without being scared. And I'm glad she has that reaction cause I know most dogs would tear anything like her up. I'm glad you were able to go check to get some peace of mind. I'm sure he is thriving and has you to thank for the life you gave him and without you he wouldn't be here. You guys are a blessing to each other🥰 if you could I would try to visit there as much as you can and one day I'm sure he will let you know which one he is.. I've been trying to think of way to tag or mark my girl so that way when she decide to go.if she would ever come back around I'd know for sure. I'm afraid to put anything on her ankles incase she would ever get it caught or tangled in something and I know fishing line is a bug problem when geese get into them from Careless fishermen leaving their trash any and everywhere. I was thinking about maybe painting her toe nails but figure that would wear off..so I'm up for any safe suggestions anyone might have. And thank you Kristie for keeping us updated about Gilbert!

Back
Top Bottom