November 2016 Hatch-a-long!!

Pics
I am so sad! We had to leave town for 2 days, came back and found one of my hens in the wrong nest box, and her eggs were cold. I think she was only off of them for a while one day, so I am hoping there is still a chance for them. I tried candling them, and didn't see movement except possibly in one, but it could have been my hand accidentally moving it. I think we lost them all. I put her back on them anyway, just in case. I will do a proper candling tomorrow, and decide what to do then. I am going back and forth between giving her fresh eggs to start over with, or just taking 5 eggs from the other nest for her. I think she could gandle starting over, because she gets off the nest once every day, unlike other broodies I have who would sit for several days at a time without moving at all. But it would also still be cool to have both hens' eggs hatch at the same time... decisions, decisions!
I also did a quick candling of the other nest today, and found one clear egg, and the other 11 looked perfect. So, out of 24 eggs (12 eggs each), 23 are/were developing.

That's a shame..

I got a surprise yesterday. Day 19 and I have a lavender Orpington!

Mine literally took 3 hours from pip to zip to hatch. She wasn't playing around!! No other pips yet but lots are moving.

Did you see mine a few pages back?   I got a lot with the poo on them too.  I would not wash them.  I actually get great hatches with the dirty ones as well as the ones that are clean.  It's just not a nice site.  Doesn't look like there is any real ... thick stuff.  Be happy for that.  Just set them.  :)  

That's the same bator I use, I love it. It's big enough to have a good hatch but small enough to keep me out of trouble. :)

Back
Top Bottom