San Diego Chicken meetup and Chat thread

Hey dana,this just hit me on what might have happened
.A girlfriend had a chicken with similar situation.she poked the chicken to see if it was alive and a black widow creeped out of the feathers.
just a thought.
sorry again on your loss.

Hey dana,this just hit me on what might have happened
.A girlfriend had a chicken with similar situation.she poked the chicken to see if it was alive and a black widow creeped out of the feathers.
just a thought.
sorry again on your loss.
Oh my god, i didn't think about that. My yard is full of brown and black widows and my favorite roo died a few days ago without any sign of illness. He actually free range for a few days prior his death and now you really make me wander if he died of a spider bite.

Wow Renee... what a thought! I do find quite a few black widows in the barn, and don't give them much thought. (Although if they're low enough, I do squish them.) I always thought the chickens would just eat them, and that would be that. Hmmmm.

Thanks so much for all of the sympathy and help offered in finding me a replacement roo... this list is the absolute best.
hugs.gif

Big hugs to you, Charlotte - I'm sorry you also lost a special boy.

I have some light Brahma cockerels if any one is interested i kept y out of the last hatch and i think 5are roos lol 15 for byc they are about 3 and a half month old

Wow Renee... what a thought! I do find quite a few black widows in the barn, and don't give them much thought. (Although if they're low enough, I do squish them.) I always thought the chickens would just eat them, and that would be that. Hmmmm.

Thanks so much for all of the sympathy and help offered in finding me a replacement roo... this list is the absolute best.
hugs.gif

Big hugs to you, Charlotte - I'm sorry you also lost a special boy.
Thank you Dana... It's so quiet here since he is gone
hit.gif
hopefully not for too long!

Free to good home:
2 months old purebred bearded white silkie.... not sure about the sex yet (my guess is roo BUT not 100% sure)
It has 6 toes instead of 5 .... not a big deal, but I don't want to use it in my breeding pen.

I had always assumed the chickens would eat the black widows. Yikes! Bad crunchy spiders!

I am looking at different chicken feeds and want to get away from any that contain meat or bone meal by-products. Looking at organic ones. I am hopeing to find something cost effective as well. Right now they are killing me with all the wasted feed. Anyone found some solutions for that or do I need to switch them over to pellets? With the hawks and dogs I cannot let them free range. Whole chicken flocks have been taken out in a night from the dogs as it is.

Thanks

I had always assumed the chickens would eat the black widows. Yikes! Bad crunchy spiders!

I am looking at different chicken feeds and want to get away from any that contain meat or bone meal by-products. Looking at organic ones. I am hopeing to find something cost effective as well. Right now they are killing me with all the wasted feed. Anyone found some solutions for that or do I need to switch them over to pellets? With the hawks and dogs I cannot let them free range. Whole chicken flocks have been taken out in a night from the dogs as it is.

Thanks
I find that feeding crumble results in less loss. Mine toss the pellets out and stomp them into the ground.

I am looking at different chicken feeds and want to get away from any that contain meat or bone meal by-products. Looking at organic ones. I am hopeing to find something cost effective as well. Right now they are killing me with all the wasted feed. Anyone found some solutions for that or do I need to switch them over to pellets? With the hawks and dogs I cannot let them free range. Whole chicken flocks have been taken out in a night from the dogs as it is.

Thanks

I had tried some neat wall-mounted feeders a while back, and my girls just wasted feed so badly I couldn't believe it. I went back to the ceiling-mounted gravity feeder (make sure it's mounted high enough so they can't easily scratch it out) and I'm back to no waste.

I just kind of casually looked at the Modesto Milling ingredients http://www.modestomilling.com/soy-free-poultry.html and didn't see any of the the bad items you listed. I'm feeding my flock the soy-free & corn-free pellets now (except the babies), and everybody is doing very well on it.

Edited to add: I forgot to say how much I LOVE the honey I bought from you! That stuff needs to come with a warning label - it is that delicious and very addicting...
droolin.gif

Last edited:
Cross-posted from FB...

Well, I have another girl in the chicken hospital. I went out this morning to let the girls out and my bantam cochin had blood running down her face. It looks like her comb was ripped at the top of her head. Whenever I tried to clean it, spray it with vetrycin (sp?), it would start bleeding again, so I just left it alone. She's in solitary confinement as the other girls won't leave her alone. How long should I keep her separated? And is there anything that should be done for her?

Another one of my girls has abrasions on her beak and it is chipped. Any ideas what these girls are doing to themselves?

Back
Top Bottom